Wine tasting fundraiser to support boy with muscular dystrophy
- Credit: Archant
A wine tasting host is putting on a fundraising taster night in Nailsea to raise money for a boy with muscular dystrophy.
Diana Lyalle is hosting the wine tasting on February 1 to mark Go Orange day, which is organised by Muscular Dystrophy UK.
Diana, from Wine Time Events, has chosen to support the charity after being inspired by her neighbour Luke who was diagnosed with the condition in 2017 at the age of four.
Luke’s family set up the Luke’s Army fundraising campaign to support research into the condition and their friends and members of the community have been organising a host of events to raise money for the cause.
Diana said: “I am hosting this event to raise funds for Muscular Dystrophy UK, a charity which helps 70,000 people in the UK who suffer with muscle-wasting disorders.
You may also want to watch:
“My inspiration is a young lad called Luke who lives in my road.
“He was recently diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, which is an awful, progressive life-shortening condition.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 RNLI helm retires after nearly two decades of saving lives at sea
- 3 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 4 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 5 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 6 Hundreds of North Somerset patients receive coronavirus vaccine
- 7 Storyboat 700+ sets sail in Portishead for 2021
- 8 Portishead GP reminds people to wait for coronavirus vaccine call
- 9 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 10 Congresbury Tennis Club bucks Covid trend
“His parents have formed Luke’s Army and last year they raised a whopping £54,000 for Muscular Dystrophy UK. So I want to do my bit towards this year’s total.”
“Being a freelance wines and spirits tutor and tastings host, I thought it would be fun to organise a wine tasting on Go Orange day, not least because this day marks the end of dry January.
“In addition to a wine tasting – including wines with an orange theme – there will be a quiz, an orange-themed cocktail, and a raffle to win a fabulous wine hamper kindly donated by The Wine Shop Winscombe. All proceeds will go to Luke’s Army.”
Family and friends, schools, groups and businesses in Nailsea have dressed up in orange, organised a fundraising disco and taken part in a Santa run.
Diana will be sporting orange clothes in aid of the cause and guests are also welcome to wear the same.
The wine tasting is taking place at the Trinity Centre, in Church Lane, on February 1 from 7-9pm.
Tickets are £20 and can be booked by emailing email@example.com or on 07772 055928.
Find out more information at www.musculardystrophyuk.org/get-involved/family-funds/funds/lukes-army