Skate park bid goes in again
LEADERS of the Portishead Skatepark Project (PSP) have resubmitted their application to site a facility at the town’s Lake Grounds.
The group has asked North Somerset Council to revisit its request for a seafront wheels park after councillors failed in their quest to help it find a suitable alternative site.
Planning permission for a park at the beauty spot was granted in November 2010 but in 2011 the local authority refused to grant landlord’s consent.
In a letter to Martin O’Neill, property strategy manager at North Somerset Council, Jon Gething, on behalf of PSP, said: “We believe we have made all reasonable efforts to find an alternative location in the town and have worked constructively with the town council to this end. However, our best combined efforts for nearly a year have failed to find an alternative site.
“The need for a free-to-use wheels park in Portishead has increased with the growth of population in the town and we believe there is a duty on North Somerset Council to consider the needs of young people when making their decisions.”
You may also want to watch:
PSP has been searching for a site for a skate park since 2006, identifying 14 possible locations, of which only two met the criteria set out for a successful facility.
Kilkenny Fields and the Lake Grounds were both deemed suitable, but council officials advised PSP that Kilkenny Fields could not be pursued, leaving only the Lake Grounds as a viable option.
- 1 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 2 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 3 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 4 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 Clevedon girl, 4, wins music award
- 7 Portishead awarded GreenSeas Trust bin to tackle plastic pollution
- 8 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 9 Conservative candidate chosen for by-election
- 10 Gorgeous three-bedroom character cottage in rural area, with annexe