Queen’s honours for North Somerset people
A MEMBER of Portishead Christmas Lights committee has been awarded a British Empire Medal (BEM).
Dave Skelhorne, who works in estates at Bristol University, was named in the Queen’s birthday honours for his services to heritage buildings and higher education.
The 70-year-old of South Road, has worked at the university for 17 years. He retired four years ago but because he loves his job, remained working part-time.
He has been responsible for maintaining many of the university’s historic buildings and was instrumental in establishing tours of the Wills Memorial Building which have raised almost �9,000 for charity.
Dave said: “This is a great honour. I have no idea who nominated me and initially I thought, why me, but who am I to argue with the Queen?
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been a big responsibility over the years to make sure so many buildings are kept in such wonderful condition. The Wills Memorial Building has become like an old friend, especially with all the tales I have to tell about it.”
The BEM was established in 1917 in recognition of services to the local community. It was scrapped in 1993 but has been revived by David Cameron to mark the Diamond jubilee.
- 1 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 2 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 3 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 4 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 5 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 6 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 7 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 8 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 9 Council plea to public as services impacted by pingdemic
- 10 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
* Also awarded a BEM, which stands for Medallist of the Order of the British Empire in full, is former partner at Wrington Vale Medical Practice, Dr Nick Hooper, for services to the community in Bristol and North Somerset.