Portishead prepares for annual show
GREEN-FINGERED residents in Portishead are preparing for the biggest flower show in the Gordano Valley.
The 148th Portishead Flower Show and Country Fair takes place at the Clevedon Road Flower Show Field in the town from 12.30-6.30pm on Friday and 10am-6pm on Saturday.
BBC Points West presenter Alex Lovell will open the two-day event, which will be packed with a variety of exhibits and activities for all the family.
More than 2,000 entries are expected to enter in around 400 different classes, filling three large marquees at the show, which costs more than �20,000 to put on each year.
There will be all the traditional categories along with a special schools cup and the ever-popular scarecrow competition.
You may also want to watch:
The show promises something for everyone, with large quantities of produce and handicrafts and arena events including a dog show and children’s fun sports.
This year there will also be a circus workshop, traditional puppet show and live jazz music.
- 1 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 2 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 3 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 4 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 5 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 6 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 7 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 8 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 9 Clevedon return to top of WEPL table with win over Lansdown
- 10 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
Admission costs �5 for adults and children under 17 enter for free.
The show is backed by a thriving horticultural society which has more than 400 members and meets monthly to be entertained by first class speakers.
The society maintains the show both physically and financially, with help from volunteers, patrons and sponsors, both private and trade.
Schedules listing all the classes and events are available from many local shops.
For more details visit www.portisheadhorticultural.org.uk or call 07821 128443.