Portishead prepares for annual show
GREEN-FINGERED residents in Portishead are preparing for the biggest flower show in the Gordano Valley.
The 148th Portishead Flower Show and Country Fair takes place at the Clevedon Road Flower Show Field in the town from 12.30-6.30pm on Friday and 10am-6pm on Saturday.
BBC Points West presenter Alex Lovell will open the two-day event, which will be packed with a variety of exhibits and activities for all the family.
More than 2,000 entries are expected to enter in around 400 different classes, filling three large marquees at the show, which costs more than �20,000 to put on each year.
There will be all the traditional categories along with a special schools cup and the ever-popular scarecrow competition.
You may also want to watch:
The show promises something for everyone, with large quantities of produce and handicrafts and arena events including a dog show and children’s fun sports.
This year there will also be a circus workshop, traditional puppet show and live jazz music.
- 1 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 2 Officer's final written warning after sending inappropriate messages
- 3 WIN: Tickets to Cliff Richard live concert screening
- 4 Bristol Combination Vase: Nailsea & Backwell RFC looking to create history says Hill
- 5 North Somerset authors publish books
- 6 Nailsea & Backwell RFC v Bristol Imperial RFC LIVE BLOG
- 7 Road group condemns 'unacceptable traffic misery' in village
- 8 Councillor calls for misogyny to be classed as hate crime
- 9 Coffee morning raises hundreds of pounds for two charities
- 10 Appeal after man injured in robbery
Admission costs �5 for adults and children under 17 enter for free.
The show is backed by a thriving horticultural society which has more than 400 members and meets monthly to be entertained by first class speakers.
The society maintains the show both physically and financially, with help from volunteers, patrons and sponsors, both private and trade.
Schedules listing all the classes and events are available from many local shops.
For more details visit www.portisheadhorticultural.org.uk or call 07821 128443.