Portishead prepares for annual show
GREEN-FINGERED residents in Portishead are preparing for the biggest flower show in the Gordano Valley.
The 148th Portishead Flower Show and Country Fair takes place at the Clevedon Road Flower Show Field in the town from 12.30-6.30pm on Friday and 10am-6pm on Saturday.
BBC Points West presenter Alex Lovell will open the two-day event, which will be packed with a variety of exhibits and activities for all the family.
More than 2,000 entries are expected to enter in around 400 different classes, filling three large marquees at the show, which costs more than �20,000 to put on each year.
There will be all the traditional categories along with a special schools cup and the ever-popular scarecrow competition.
You may also want to watch:
The show promises something for everyone, with large quantities of produce and handicrafts and arena events including a dog show and children’s fun sports.
This year there will also be a circus workshop, traditional puppet show and live jazz music.
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Changes to North Somerset Council’s executive team announced
- 3 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 4 Cleeve claim friendly win at Hambrook
- 5 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 6 How to order free Covid home tests
- 7 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 8 Health club thanks NHS workers with free memberships
- 9 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 10 Lord-Lieutenant unveils memorial to commemorate village war dead
Admission costs �5 for adults and children under 17 enter for free.
The show is backed by a thriving horticultural society which has more than 400 members and meets monthly to be entertained by first class speakers.
The society maintains the show both physically and financially, with help from volunteers, patrons and sponsors, both private and trade.
Schedules listing all the classes and events are available from many local shops.
For more details visit www.portisheadhorticultural.org.uk or call 07821 128443.