Olympic volunteer gets stuck into new role
AS the 2012 Olympics got under way volunteers from around the country, including North Somerset, were put to work in a variety of roles.
Portishead resident Jane Pagano will be spending the next few weeks in London, driving Olympic VIPs to and from sporting venues like Wembley Stadium and the Olympic Park.
She said: “I applied to be a volunteer at the 2012 Olympics 18 months ago, as I feel this it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of such an amazing event. I was delighted to discover that I was one of 70,000 to be selected out of more than 250,000 applicants and have been to several training events.”
Jane has been a volunteer in Portishead for a variety of community organisations and is currently on the committee of Portishead in Bloom and the horticultural society.
She added: “I am greatly looking forward to this wonderful occasion and all the opportunities it brings of meeting lots of new people and experiencing such a huge sporting event.”
You may also want to watch:
Jane will remain in the role of Olympic driver until August 16.
- 1 Zoo farm 'distraught' after death of elephant
- 2 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 3 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 4 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 5 Man forced to pay £2k for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 6 PICTURES: Backwell School throws leavers festival
- 7 RNLI volunteer 'will be sorely missed'
- 8 School staff praised for lockdown learning with ice cream treats
- 9 Royals praise North Somerset children's hospice
- 10 ‘You’ve been flamingoed!”