Retired police sergeant Mike dies, aged 74
TRIBUTES have been paid to popular Portishead resident Mike Hibbert who died on May 3 aged 74.
The former police sergeant died at St Peter’s Hospice with his wife Yvonne at his side after a brave battle with cancer.
Mike was born in Bath, where he met Yvonne and had sons Tim, now aged 48, and Paul, aged 44.
After working as a PC in the Bath City Police Force, Mike was promoted to sergeant in 1976 and transferred to Portishead station where he served for 11 years.
During his time as a sergeant Mike was an integral part of many popular social events in the town including the annual police ball, he was also a member of the Portishead Town Band and the Lions Club of Portishead.
You may also want to watch:
The grandfather-of-three was a well-known musician and was a part of many local bands, with his favourite instrument being the double bass.
Mike helped co-found Bold Brass, a brass band which played at a number of charitable functions as well as holding numerous concerts at St Nicholas ‘Church in Nore Road.
- 1 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 2 Portishead garden protected from development
- 3 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 4 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 5 Clevedon re-sign former wicketkeeper Will Plummer from Weston ahead of 2021 season
- 6 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 7 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 8 Murray named player of month at Clevedon
- 9 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 10 Somerset Speedway to sit out 2021 season
After retiring from the force in 1990, Mike and Yvonne spent many happy years sailing around the Mediterranean on their boat, Cilano. Yvonne said: “Mike was lucky enough to be a valued part of Portishead Police Station, the recent closure of which has been a huge blow to the community.
“I would like to thank everyone at St Peter’s Hospice who helped Mike, as well as Dr Speedy at Portishead Health Centre and all the district nurses.
“Mike was a much-loved husband, father and granddad with a huge zest for life and will be missed by many.”
The funeral will be held at St Peter’s Church in Portishead on Monday at noon.