Retired police sergeant Mike dies, aged 74
TRIBUTES have been paid to popular Portishead resident Mike Hibbert who died on May 3 aged 74.
The former police sergeant died at St Peter’s Hospice with his wife Yvonne at his side after a brave battle with cancer.
Mike was born in Bath, where he met Yvonne and had sons Tim, now aged 48, and Paul, aged 44.
After working as a PC in the Bath City Police Force, Mike was promoted to sergeant in 1976 and transferred to Portishead station where he served for 11 years.
During his time as a sergeant Mike was an integral part of many popular social events in the town including the annual police ball, he was also a member of the Portishead Town Band and the Lions Club of Portishead.
You may also want to watch:
The grandfather-of-three was a well-known musician and was a part of many local bands, with his favourite instrument being the double bass.
Mike helped co-found Bold Brass, a brass band which played at a number of charitable functions as well as holding numerous concerts at St Nicholas ‘Church in Nore Road.
- 1 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 2 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 3 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 4 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 5 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 7 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 8 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 9 Funding ensures children benefit from healthy food and holiday clubs this summer
- 10 Nailsea pub crowned best in South West
After retiring from the force in 1990, Mike and Yvonne spent many happy years sailing around the Mediterranean on their boat, Cilano. Yvonne said: “Mike was lucky enough to be a valued part of Portishead Police Station, the recent closure of which has been a huge blow to the community.
“I would like to thank everyone at St Peter’s Hospice who helped Mike, as well as Dr Speedy at Portishead Health Centre and all the district nurses.
“Mike was a much-loved husband, father and granddad with a huge zest for life and will be missed by many.”
The funeral will be held at St Peter’s Church in Portishead on Monday at noon.