New club for youngsters
ARTS, crafts, cookery, pool and table tennis are just some of the activities open to youngsters at a new youth club in Portishead.
At a time when funding for youth work is scarce, Portishead Youth Centre has launched a new junior youth club for children aged eight to 11.
Centre manager Alan Rowe said: “The trustees, staff and supporters of Portishead Youth Centre have continued to work hard to ensure not only the centre remains open, but is in use seven days a week to generate an income which helps fund new projects.”
The junior youth club will run at the Harbour Road premises on Tuesdays between 3.30-6pm. Admission costs �3 per session which includes all materials for the activities, a drink and a snack.
Youth worker Nadia Pearson, who is heading the project, said: “With winter drawing nearer we realise that youngsters, who perhaps through the summer have played outside with their friends, need somewhere safe and warm to socialise after school. By running a junior youth club we are opening up the youth centre facilities to those who are not old enough to attend our evening youth club, which is for secondary school-aged people.”
You may also want to watch:
The Tuesday afternoon sessions will be fully supervised by experienced youth workers, but the activities will be led by the youngsters themselves who can choose from different hobbies and games. There will also be free time which will allow time for hanging out with friends over a milkshake and listening to music.
There is no need to book but youngsters will need to be signed in and out by an adult.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
On other weekday afternoons the community caf� is open until 6pm for people of all ages, including youngsters, to enjoy the social area and activities at the centre. However, these sessions are overseen by the caf� staff and not supervised by youth workers.
For more details about the junior youth club or any other activities at Portishead Youth Centre call 01275 842461 or visit www.portisheadyouthclub.co.uk