Yvonne’s delight after post office deal is secured
- Credit: Archant
PORTISHEAD residents have breathed a sigh of relief after it was confirmed the town’s Port Marine Post Office is here to stay.
After completing her first year as a post mistress at Wicketty Woo and Friends, her hobby shop in the Village Quarter, Yvonne Dutton has been offered a permanent contract for the Post Office Local.
Mrs Dutton, who was contracted for a one-year trial in September 2012, said she is ‘extremely pleased’ with the outcome.
She said: “The people of Portishead campaigned for years to have a second post office in the town and when the Post Office Local was given a trial they voted with their feet.
“We have only been given a permanent contract because of the support the post office services have received from customers, demonstrating the need exists. Once again Portishead residents have triumphed in their quest to ensure the town gets what it needs and deserves.”
You may also want to watch:
Port Marine Post Office provides most of the services a full post office offers including stamps, recorded delivery mail and handling of parcels up to 30kg. It hosts a pay station which allows customers to pay bills over the counter, foreign currency can be obtained and it provides a no-fee cashpoint service, which is the only cashpoint in The Village Quarter.
Customer Gemma Barnes, who lives near the marina, said: “Hopefully the days when we had to endure long queues at the town’s only post office are behind us now.
- 1 Murray named player of month at Clevedon
- 2 Clevedon re-sign former wicketkeeper Will Plummer from Weston ahead of 2021 season
- 3 Portishead garden protected from development
- 4 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 5 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 6 Somerset Speedway to sit out 2021 season
- 7 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 10 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
“I value the new post office and use it on a regular basis.”
A Post Office spokesman said: “We are delighted to welcome Port Marine Post Office to the permanent Post Office Network of more than 11,700 branches.
“Members of the Portishead community got behind the new venture from the start and we are confident they will continue to support it in the future.”
The Post Office Local at the Village Square in Phoenix Way is open Monday to Friday between 8.30am-6pm and on Saturdays from 9am-5pm.
n Pictured: Yvonne Dutton with Post Office Local trainer Craig Winks.