Town will get a second post office
PORTISHEAD will have a second post office facility within three months - official sources say.
After more than a year of speculation, the owner of a former chocolate shop has received the go-ahead to run a Post Office Local from her Village Quarter premises.
In an exclusive interview with The Times, Yvonne Dutton said: “I am delighted that my application to operate Port Marine Post Office has been successful and that Portishead will have a Post Office Local at the Village Square in Phoenix Way.
“I am looking forward to working with the Post Office and am excited to be reopening the shop again in the heart of the Village Quarter community.”
Ms Dutton has confirmed that the post office service will be up and running by October at the latest.
You may also want to watch:
The Post Office Local will provide 95 per cent of the services a full post office provides.
Ms Dutton added: “We will be able to handle most things that any other post office provides like stamps, recorded delivery mail and take parcels up to 30kg.
- 1 Car show produced in Clevedon proving to be popular among petrolheads
- 2 Roomy chocolate-box cottage packed with period features
- 3 Shop Local: Chamber of commerce urges people to utilise high street independents this weekend
- 4 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 5 Support Portishead and Nailsea Lions clubs with Santa Float collections this December
- 6 New bike racks installed in Portishead High Street
- 7 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 8 School girls creates Christmas cards for charity
- 9 Clevedon Music Club cancels winter concert
“Unfortunately, however, we will not be able to issue car tax or check passport information.”
Portishead residents launched a campaign for a second post office more than two years ago after queues at the only existing post office not only filled the shop it is located in but also spilled out on to the street, due to the volume of customers.
The plight was taken up by Portishead Town Council in 2010 and councillors have been working closely with Post Office Ltd ever since to find a suitable site.
Ms Dutton and a business partner are currently preparing to open the Village Square premises as a craft shop, which will operate alongside the post office counter.