Town will get a second post office
PORTISHEAD will have a second post office facility within three months - official sources say.
After more than a year of speculation, the owner of a former chocolate shop has received the go-ahead to run a Post Office Local from her Village Quarter premises.
In an exclusive interview with The Times, Yvonne Dutton said: “I am delighted that my application to operate Port Marine Post Office has been successful and that Portishead will have a Post Office Local at the Village Square in Phoenix Way.
“I am looking forward to working with the Post Office and am excited to be reopening the shop again in the heart of the Village Quarter community.”
Ms Dutton has confirmed that the post office service will be up and running by October at the latest.
The Post Office Local will provide 95 per cent of the services a full post office provides.
Ms Dutton added: “We will be able to handle most things that any other post office provides like stamps, recorded delivery mail and take parcels up to 30kg.
- 1 Winners of Clevedon artist of the year announced
- 2 Public urged to review sites allocated for housing in North Somerset
- 3 Free Platinum Jubilee events in Portishead
- 4 Specialist pre-school in Clevedon rated 'outstanding' by inspectors
- 5 LETTER: 'Has our council become a dictatorship?'
- 6 'Rundown' school play area given major refurb after campaign fundraises £10,000
- 7 Clifton music festival returns after Covid hiatus
- 8 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 9 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
- 10 Construction finally begins for special educational needs school
“Unfortunately, however, we will not be able to issue car tax or check passport information.”
Portishead residents launched a campaign for a second post office more than two years ago after queues at the only existing post office not only filled the shop it is located in but also spilled out on to the street, due to the volume of customers.
The plight was taken up by Portishead Town Council in 2010 and councillors have been working closely with Post Office Ltd ever since to find a suitable site.
Ms Dutton and a business partner are currently preparing to open the Village Square premises as a craft shop, which will operate alongside the post office counter.