New supermarket is opened
SCORES of customers looking for a bargain turned out for the opening of the long-awaited Lidl store in Portishead.
Arthur Terry, chairman of Portishead Town Council, declared the Harbour Road store officially open at 8am on Thursday, providing the town with more choice in supermarket shopping.
The new shop is part of a UK wide expansion programme for Lidl which was founded in Germany in the 1930s.
A Lidl spokesman said: “Our customers trust us to offer them high quality products at the lowest prices, and the new Portishead store not only offers a value-for-money shopping experience to local residents but it has also created 14 new jobs, which is positive news in the current economic climate.”
The store has a 1063 sq metre showroom and car parking for around 125 cars. Lidl has 40 dedicated car parking spaces and shares the remainder with the adjoining Travel Lodge.
Lidl Portishead is open every day - from 8am-9pm Monday to Saturday and on Sundays 10am-4pm.
- 1 Construction training centre opens in Portishead
- 2 Appeal launched to save town's Christmas light displays
- 3 Taxpayers paid £60k for Liam Fox's failed bid for WTO job: Reports
- 4 Portishead-Bristol bus plan would save £100 MILLION, campaigner claims
- 5 Burglars target 24 properties in North Somerset area
- 6 Court rules that Baytree School expansion can go ahead
- 7 Work on new Cheddar pump track set to begin
- 8 New Clevedon charity is helping to create the scientists of the future
- 9 Clevedon Lions Dream Scheme has opened to help good causes
- 10 Man SPAT at shop staff in row over face mask