New post office service for Portishead
PORTISHEAD could have a second post office before Christmas if a suitable location can be found.
The Post Office has confirmed with Portishead Town Council that another service will be introduced in the town as soon as a venue can be agreed and officials have already visited the town looking for potential sites.
Post Office services have been a bone of contention in Portishead for years, with residents arguing they do not meet the demands of the community.
The town, which once had three separate post offices when it was half its current size, now has only one counter inside a convenience store.
Town councillors took up the plight of disgruntled customers after a public outcry at the long queues that trail around the store and often spill out on to the street. Some residents say they prefer to go out of town to use a post office.
You may also want to watch:
The new service being introduced will be a Post Office Local, which means it will be a counter service operating from another business, most likely a retail outlet, although restaurants and cafes have not been ruled out.
Town council chairman Arthur Terry said: “We are delighted that the people of Portishead have been listened to and look forward to a second post office service opening in the town in the near future.”
- 1 Modern and versatile four-bedroom home
- 2 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 3 PICTURES: Nailsea farmers market birthday party
- 4 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 5 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 6 Neighbourhood plan to go before council next month
- 7 Light the Night celebration to take place in Clevedon
- 8 Nailsea United fall to heavy defeat against Mendip Broadwalk
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Food festival returning to town this weekend
Hopes of the service opening in the proposed Sainsbury’s supermarket have been dismissed.
Post Office officials say the new site has to be a certain distance from the existing post office and they are seeking a venue within the Village Quarter or on the Port Marine development.