Sidmouth's support of FolkWeek praised
PUBLISHED: 10:45 03 August 2010 | UPDATED: 10:45 03 August 2010
Praise for supporters of Sidmouth FolkWeek by festival director
EVERY venue for Sidmouth FolkWeek 2010 has been “upgraded and improved”,
festival director John Braithwaite told invited councillors and guests at Saturday’s Welcome Concert.
“What a change from last year when we were fighting a rearguard action against mud. This year we are undertaking risk assessment against dust!”
Eighty percent of catering outlets had changed and he was delighted with a late night “Silent Sunday” Folkin’ Disco; with headphones, at Bulverton Marquee.
“I appreciate the efforts made by county, district and town councils, independent businesses that support us,” he said.
Mr Braithwaite said the strength of sponsorship had helped get the festival back on its financial feet, adding: “There are miles to go and plenty of scope for it to.”
FolkWeek president Tony Reed said: “It is gratifying to see the support this festival has engendered year on year.
“I am very proud of what Sidmouth FolkWeek has achieved over the last six years. It is important we keep this festival going and the first seven days of August remain for Sidmouth.”
He thanked Mr Braithwaite, artistic director Joan Crump, John Radford director, operations/camping, Sidmouth Town Council for backing youth events at Blackmore Gardens, EDDC’s StreetScene and County Councillor Stuart Hughes for DCC’s contribution.
“Thanks to our sponsors, whose support is of great importance to this festival. You told me six years ago we mustn’t let the festival die. Thank you for keeping the faith.”