Weston Beach Rugby Festival to return in August
- Credit: Submitted
A popular rugby event is set to return to Weston beach this summer.
The annual Weston Beach Rugby Festival is being held near the Tropicana from August 5 to August 7, with a theme this year of Baywatch - with visitors and participants encouraged to dress accordingly.
Around 62 teams from across the UK will join for a weekend of sand, sun and tag rugby.
All levels are able to join in the fun – with gendered teams and a mixed/family section. Squads will include a maximum of 10 participants (five-a-side with rolling subs).
As well as this, there will be a mini and juniors tournament on Friday, August 5, for boys and girls teams – under 8s; under 10s; under 12s and under 14s – with squads of up to 10.
For those watching the games, there will also be a selection of food stalls including pizza, ice cream, burgers and Asian cuisine.
The launch party kicks off on Friday evening with the Lipinski band, and on Saturday there will be DJs on the Redbull DJ truck.
- 1 A-level results 2022: Backwell School celebrate 'fantastic grades'
- 2 A-level results 2022: Students at Gordano School 'fly high'
- 3 A-level results 2022: 'Outstanding grades' at Clevedon School
- 4 Prestigious new development of one, two and three-bedroom apartments
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 New 24-hour gym to open in Portishead
- 7 Council and First Bus agree to save X5 service
- 8 Lib Dem councillors demand First Bus bosses 'reverse cuts now'
- 9 Deal means Portishead to Bristol rail line will open in 2026
- 10 Cleeve cement lead at top of table as batters shine on winning weekend
On Saturday evening, there will be a beach party with a variety of music.
Organiser, Wayne Hadley from Concierge UK, said: “Weston Beach Rugby has doubled in size and is now well established as one of Weston’s premium summer events.
"With the introduction of our main sponsor Gravity, as well as Redbull's involvement, this event can only grow.
"We are encouraged by the numbers of team entries and especially our minis and juniors tournament on the Friday.
"We look forward to welcoming the local community as well as new visitors to the town."
The main sponsor of the event is Gravity, while others include Red Bull, Thatchers, Butcombe Brewery, ConciergeUK, Fhoss, Karuta, Towans, Plumbase, Williams Group and Greenspinaker.
The event will also support The Royal Marines Charity.
Wristbands to enter the event at the weekend cost £5. Timings for each day are as follows:
Friday, August 5 – noon until 10.30pm
Saturday, August 6 – 9am until 10.30pm
Sunday, August 7 – 9am until 6pm
To find out more, visit westonbeachrugbyfest.co.uk.