Victory for No Hopers

PUBLISHED: 14:20 15 June 2011




Social Climbers fail to go top of the Flotsam Summer Billiards League after losing to No Hopers.

SOCIAL Climbers lost an opportunity to move to the top of the Flotsam Summer Billiards league after going down 3-1 at No Hopers.

The opening game saw Mark Wright take on Brian Harvey. Brian struggled early on, coupled with Mark playing exceptionally well, made for an enthralling match. With the end in sight Brian pulled off a 37 unfinished break to secure the frame by 15 points.

Mark White was in good form against Ian Green in the second game and Ian also played well with his coaching finally beginning to seep through. Mark made two well-crafted breaks of 16 in the final third of the game which in the end proved telling and he ran out winning by 15 points.

With the scores level, whoever won the final frame would take the extra point. Social Climbers’ Graham Burton found himself trailing from an early stage. Wayne Martin had the Green Baize Gods on his side, and good fortune kept him at the table and made for a one-sided affair. A good-natured evening drew to a conclusion with Wayne breezing to a 95 point victory.

Well Backs took the battle of Backwell with a crushing 4-0 win over Fuzz Box. George Rowe was playing his first game for some weeks gave a good account of himself against Alan Spear, with Alan only pulling away in the latter stages to secure a 45 point win.

Dennis Mansfield had the better of the early stages against Pete Woods, but Pete gradually got his act together and moved in front to win by 22. Martyn Howell showed opposing captain Bob Selby no mercy in the final game and with numerous flukes coupled with some good round table canons, secured an easy 50 point win to give his side the whitewash.

In the quarter-final of the Canons Cup between No Hopers and Congresbury the result was in doubt right until the end. Reuben Hurse started well for the visitors, but Mark White gradually pulled back a 20 point deficit and the lead changed hands several times before Reuben enjoyed the better running to win by 23.

Irving Prowse made a good start against Mark Wright with an early 17 and went on to build up a substantial lead, although Mark kept chipping away to close the eventual gap to 40.

His side trailing by 63, Wayne Martin made a determined effort to take the match on aggregate and easily outscored Dave Larner who struggled to get going. It was not until Wayne got within 11 points of victory, when Dave managed to scramble together the points he needed to take Congresbury into the semis by 17.

In another semi-final, Well Backs’ Alan Spear lost to Zimmers’ Wayne Ticer by just six points before Martyn Howell put the home side in charge with a 91 point win over Geoff Passmore.

Needing to stop Pete Woods scoring 40 points, Bruce Bernard was in determined form and in an extremely close finish restricted Pete to just 34 to put Zimmers into the semis by six.

Breaks: Brian Harvey 37*, 26, 23, 22, 20; Martyn Howell 30; Wayne Martin 28; Wayne Ticer 25; Alan Spear 20.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times