Somerset Gryphons held in high-scoring encounter

PUBLISHED: 14:42 18 March 2015 | UPDATED: 14:42 18 March 2015

Somerset Gryphons.

Somerset Gryphons.


Somerset Gryphons ladies were held to a 5-5 draw at Falmouth.

Falmouth 5

Somerset Gryphons 5

SOMERSET Gryphons made an early start for a midday match in Falmouth in the race for second place in the league.

Gryphons warmed up well and this was reflected in their opening play. A ball up the line allowed Emma Hamilton to drive into the D and lift the ball into the net within the first two minutes.

Soon after, Jade Summerell scored a deflection from a short corner to give the visitors a 2-0 lead. This was unfortunately followed by a harsh yellow card, for a mild expletive used in conversation between team members.

Falmouth persevered and took advantage of Gryphons’ misfortune and the outstanding pace on their right wing allowed them to pull back three goals to give the home team a 3-2 lead at half-time.

Falmouth came out fast and strong again in the second half and scored two goals, again by utilising their unbeatable pace on the right wing.

Being 5-2 down with just 20 minutes to go, Gryphons continued to fight and their determination paid off in the final quarter, with consistent pressure enabling Liz Ford to score a well-placed deflection.

Both teams continued to have opportunities, with player of the match Jackie Plumley making numerous spectacular saves in goal to keep Gryphons in with a fighting chance and defender Charmaine Baker also bravely clearing a fast ball off the goal line.

Lara Ford scored in Gryphons’ favour, by unleashing a strike from some swift open play up the right. The Gryphons unfortunately suffered another yellow card for a rash tackle and went back to 10 players.

Hamilton’s fantastic sprint up the side allowed her to overtake play and receive the ball in the D for a simple reverse finish to bring the score level.

With fourth-placed Falmouth only two points behind second-placed Gryphons, the game was all to play for with three minutes remaining. Gryphons successfully defended a short corner and were rewarded one of their own. The Falmouth goalkeeper excelled under pressure to make a speedy save and the game concluded with a point each.

Although disappointed not to have extended the points difference, coming back from three goals down and maintaining second position gave the Gryphs enough cause to celebrate with drinks on the long minibus journey home.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times