Over-65s Somerset Squad: Seven Weston AFC players selected
- Credit: Danny Ward
Seven Weston AFC players have been named in the Somerset over-65s squad to play in a tournament later this month.
Some 24 hopefuls competed against each other last week on the 3G pitch at The Optima Stadium aiming for a place in squad that will play against six other South West counties in the tournament, organised by WFA (Walking Football Association) on Sunday July 31 at Weston.
Two WFA assessors have whittled the group down to 14 players and a training session has taken place at Weston this week in preparation for the tournament.
The other counties involved are Gloucester, Wiltshire, Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall.
Weston goalkeeper John Hembrow, defenders Ian Rees and Rich Rzeznicki, midfielders Terry Keeling, Keith Seabourne and Jim Thomas and forward Keith Brown have all been selected.
There are also three Clevedon players named, with midfielders Steve Woodey, Pete Condon and Roger McQuillan included.
Danny Ward, WFA over-65s county manager, said "It has been a hard to pick a squad from so many good players, we are lucky to have so many good over-65 footballers in Somerset.
- 1 A-level results 2022: Backwell School celebrate 'fantastic grades'
- 2 A-level results 2022: Students at Gordano School 'fly high'
- 3 A-level results 2022: 'Outstanding grades' at Clevedon School
- 4 Prestigious new development of one, two and three-bedroom apartments
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 New 24-hour gym to open in Portishead
- 7 Council and First Bus agree to save X5 service
- 8 Lib Dem councillors demand First Bus bosses 'reverse cuts now'
- 9 Deal means Portishead to Bristol rail line will open in 2026
- 10 Backwell solar energy company to expand into Clevedon
"We have a selection process that we use and we will select the squad for the inter counties matches on July 31 from the last training day. I am confident the lads will play really well and hopefully win this new WFA tournament."
Squad, goalkeepers: Ian Covill (Midsomer Norton) John Hembrow (Weston AFC); defenders: Rich Rzeznicki, Ian Rees (both Weston AFC); midfielders: Steeve Woodey, Pete Condon, Roger McQuillan (all Clevedon), Terry Keeling, Keith Seabourne, Jim Thomas (all Weston AFC) Martin Middleditch (Yeovil); forwards: Jim Weetch (Keynsham), Keith Brown (Weston AFC), Bob Healey (Yeovil).