Ashton and Backwell make it three wins in a row after Sam Thomas’s late winner
- Credit: Archant
Ashton and Backwell left it late after Sam Thomas scored in the 92nd minute to beat Calne Town at Bremhill View last Saturday.
Thomas's header from Miles Hardridge's cross sparked wild celebrations from the bench as A&B picked up three wins in a row and move to 6th in the table.
Both teams came into their game having won their last two and it was Stuart Jones's men who came close to open the scoring in the third minute.
Good work from Hardridge down the left saw his cross reach the path of Paul Uppington, but despite having more time than he realized he saw his shot easily gathered by Sam Thomson.
Lewis Coombes saved well from Harry Myles tipping his 25-yard free kick over the bar a minute later before Uppington went even close moments later.
You may also want to watch:
A wonderful ball across field from Callum Townsend found Billy Devoy whose inch perfect found Uppington and with his back to goal attempted the spectacular but saw his effort well saved by Thomson.
Thomson again denied the visitors after saving well from George Jones after good work from Connor Saunders.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 RNLI helm retires after nearly two decades of saving lives at sea
- 3 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 4 Storyboat 700+ sets sail in Portishead for 2021
- 5 Clevedon school launches pop up shop to support low income families
- 6 Clevedon strengthen squad with signing of Gloucestershire duo Higgins and Warner
- 7 Hundreds of North Somerset patients receive coronavirus vaccine
- 8 Congresbury Tennis Club bucks Covid trend
- 9 Portishead GP reminds people to wait for coronavirus vaccine call
- 10 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
A good team move involving five players saw Townsend pull the back into the path of Jones and with the goal gapping shot straight at Thomson as the game went into half time scoreless.
With the game hanging in the balance, Thomson again performed wonders to deny Townsend from a free kick before saving well from the same man again when his cross come shot had to be turned over.
Despite all the consistent pressure, Jake Allen's quick thinking almost gave the hosts the lead but Coombes was there to tip over.
Allen again went close after controlling the ball with his chest 10 yards out and volleyed the ball towards goal but Coombes was there again to deny the forward.
Saul Jarrett went close but Thomson was in the way to push the ball away for a corner.
From the resulting set piece, the unmarked Joe Bishop saw his powerful header come crashing off the bar and it looked to be a disappointing day for The Stags before Thomas's heroics.
Hardridge found himself on the right before sending in a dangerous cross to midfielder Thomas, who rose the highest to head home into the bottom left hand corner for the game's winning goal.
A&B are back in action this Saturday when they take on Camerlford at Trefrew Park at 3pm in the FA Vase.