Yatton hit back to secure a comfortable victory

PUBLISHED: 10:20 13 December 2017 | UPDATED: 10:20 13 December 2017

Tom McMaster.

Tom McMaster.


Yatton came from behind at half-time to secure the points at home to Oldfield Old Boys.

Yatton 39 pts

Oldfield Old Boys 17 pts

Having to contend with a narrow defeat on the road last week, aided and abetted by not having a reliable kicker, Yatton were determined to make amends.

Yatton, playing up the slope, got off to a flying start and within 90 seconds, Tom Moore was over in the corner, but failed to convert his own try.

Shortly afterwards, a powerful scrummage by the Yatton pack led to Oldfield infringing, a penalty being awarded and this time, Moore was successful.

Oldfield decided to up their game and after a period of sustained pressure, forced Yatton to concede a penalty, which was duly converted. Now playing with confidence, Oldfield added another score when an intercepted Yatton pass led to a try with the extras added.

Another move generated deep in the Yatton half with forwards and backs supporting each other, almost led to a try in the top corner.

However, a powerful scrum, engineered by the front row of McKay, Hardwidge and Grimes resulted in a penalty being awarded and Yatton chose another scrum resulting in a pushover try with Tom McMaster touching down, Moore adding the extras.

Oldfield were looking to spoil the party and although they missed a penalty, they scored an excellent converted try under the posts to take a narrow 17-15 lead into the break.

Yatton, with the slope now in their favour and egged on by a partisan crowd, pummelled the Oldfield defence.

Strong and elusive running by all the backs, in particular Liam Chambers, tested Oldfield’s resolve and in an attempt to stem the flow, Oldfield were penalised for a series of infringements which eventually allowed Ed Ryder to touch down from a pushover scrum, Moore converting.

Another powerful pulse of play by Yatton, initiated in their own half, saw scrum-half Nick Garnham cross the line for an unconverted try.

Yatton were now in the ascendency and with Oldfield struggling to keep their discipline (three yellow cards issued), Yatton produced one of the best tries ever seen at the Park.

From deep in the 22, Moore shredded the Oldfield midfield defence to find the support of Chris Edwards whose blistering pace enabled him to touch down under the posts. Fittingly, Moore added the extras.

Yatton were not yet finished and special mention to winger Pete Quin who scored the last try in the bottom corner on his 21st birthday.

Yatton 2nd XV 18 pts

Oldfield OB 2nd XV 17 pts

In search of their first home win and playing up the slope, Yattons 2nd XV shot out of the starting blocks with their customary intensity.

A period of sustained pressure in the Oldfield 22 saw Yatton come away with a penalty courtesy of Mike Gane, but Oldfield hit back shortly afterwards with an unconverted try.

Yatton’s discipline frayed a little as the first half wore on, with scrum-half Charlie Harrison receiving a yellow card, and Oldfield netted two penalties to leave the half-time score 3-11 to the visitors.

Playing down the slope in the second half, Yatton became increasingly dominant as the half wore on. They were soon on the scoresheet again through a try from Stewart Brain, converted by Gane, to bring the score to 10-11.

A couple of Oldfield penalties were answered by Brain’s second try of the game, leaving the score at 15-17 with the last few minutes to play.

With the 1st XV looking on (their game having finished), Gane lined up a penalty in line with the posts just past the 10 yard line in Oldfield’s half, and coolly sent it between the uprights to take the points and the game.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists