Yatton endure tough times at Avonmouth

PUBLISHED: 14:26 22 February 2017 | UPDATED: 14:26 22 February 2017

Ed Ryder-Smith.

Ed Ryder-Smith.


A weakened Yatton side lose to third-placed Avonmouth in a tough encounter.

Avonmouth 36 pts

Yatton 17 pts

It was always going to be a tough encounter, away to third in the league Avonmouth, and with Yatton’s injury list and absences, six players from the reserves sides needed to be drafted in.

With a clashing of team colours, spectators often had difficulty in distinguishing the relative players and certainly during the opening 20 minutes the sides looked well matched, with Yatton’s defence withstanding Avonmouth’s’ pressure within their half and creating breakthrough chances of their own.

Avonmouth’s unconverted open play try was matched minutes later when James Grimes spotted a gap and broke off from a rolling maul to charge over.

But it was the home side who forged ahead with a converted try and added an unconverted pushover try five minutes before the turnaround, but Yatton’s tenacity and ball retention made it hard work for the bulkier and experienced opposition.

Probably Yatton’s best period came in the third quarter during which, Yatton’s player of the match, No 10 Mitch Want, broke through again, this time intercepting and catching the ricocheting ball for it to find its way to the supporting wing Pete Quinn, who had to stretch his legs to outpace the defence. Charlie Harrison converted from out wide.

With the scoreline at 17-12 and Yatton’s persistence in midfield creating chances, it looked like the visitors should at least go home with a couple of useful league points.

But at the start of the final 20 minutes, the momentum swung back into Avonmouth’s favour and well-worked moves brought three consecutive tries and two conversions.

Perversely, although Avonmouth’s pack had proved to be a handful all the afternoon, Yatton’s consolation came in the final try of the game when they pushed over a rolling maul and hooker Charlie Wemyss grounded the ball.

But a fourth try bonus point for Yatton, although deserved, remained elusive as the final whistle went with Yatton comfortably on the attack within the home sides 22.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times