Somerset Cup success for Clevedon boys

PUBLISHED: 14:40 21 October 2015 | UPDATED: 14:40 21 October 2015

Yatton Under-12s.

Yatton Under-12s.


Clevedon Under-16s defeated North Petherton in the Somerset Cup, a week after being knocked out of the Bristol Cup.

After last week’s disappointment of being knocked out of the Bristol Cup, it was a chance for Clevedon Under-16s to redeem themselves in the Somerset Cup.

Clevedon soon got into their grove with Mitchell Jordan latching onto a pass to run in the first try. Some strong running from the visitors brought out some fine tackling from Lewis O’Brien, who was a rock in defence.

Once Clevedon had settled, they were soon on the score sheet again with a fine run from Ben McLaughlin, who sprinted in from 40 yards.

The home side were now in control especially in the line-outs were James Evans won countless amount of line-out ball to feed the Clevedon backs. This soon resulted in quick ball from Connor Hughes who fed the ball to O’Brien to race over for the third try of the morning, Oliver Wilson successful with all three conversions.

The second half saw a rejuvenated Pethy side, but Clevedon managed a Wilson penalty to stretch the home side’s lead.

Clevedon took their foot of the pedal and North Petherton hit back with a converted try of their own. Straight from the kick-off the home side repaid the visitors with a fourth try from Cain Myford-Gibson, which Wilson converted. Again the visitors hit back with another fine try which rattled the home team.

In the final minutes, Clevedon piled on the pressure with some massive tackles from Tucker and Haskins. Quick ball and some aggressive rucking resulted in Myford-Gibson scoring his second try and Wilson converting again for a final score of 38-12.

Clevedon Under-16s’ Hussey, Evans and Morgan ready for action.

Yatton Under-12s travelled to Cheddar in good numbers looking for their first win of the season and did exactly that.

The opening minutes were evenly contested before Yatton drew first blood, but Cheddar immediately countered with a score of their own. After that, the first-half scoring was all Yatton in a tale of the two Bens - Clarke and Rogers - and the half finished at 5-1.

Yatton picked up in the second half where they left off. Cheddar contested hard at the breakdown and won a number of balls at the ruck and the maul, but it was Yatton who added a further seven tries to make the final score 12-1.

A second slightly shorter game saw Yatton loan three players to keep the numbers even. Again it was well contested, but Yatton had the upper hand throughout and the end of the first-half saw them leading at 3-0.

A swap in the loaned players saw Yatton score two against themselves, but they kept their composure, driving hard up the middle and scored two of their own to see the game finish 5-2.

Yatton scorers were Ben Clarke (6), Ben Rogers (5), Adam Foley (2), Luke Gilbert (2), Joe Galey and Cammie Waites.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times