Nailsea warm up for cup match

PUBLISHED: 14:40 16 November 2011

Weston V Nailsea and Backwell U9's.

Weston V Nailsea and Backwell U9's.


Nailsea & Backwell Under-14s warmed up for their Bristol Junior Cup quarter-final on Sunday with victory over Clifton.

IN a thrilling display of rugby, Nailsea & Backwell Under-14s travelled to Clifton as a warm-up for their Bristol Junior Cup quarter-final on Sunday.

It was the Nailsea pack that took early control and supplied an excellent platform for the squad to launch a series of attacks.

Harry Marshall opened the Nailsea account with a charging run from 12 metres out. It took great support play from the forwards to grind their way to the Clifton line again, rewarding James Verel with a try, converted by Matt Noke.

Nailsea conceded three penalties in succession, allowing Clifton to use the quick tap and chip into the corner which caught Nailsea napping.

The second half saw changes to the Nailsea squad, but they still dominated up front. The third try came from Ryan Barrow as he muscled his way through the Clifton defence.

Clifton fought back and clawed a try back, but it was Shaun Puttock who had the final word as the Nailsea backline began to click. Final score Clifton 10, Nailsea & Backwell 22.

The Under-13s travelled to Keynsham for the Bristol Junior Cup semi-final.

For the first time this season N & B came up 
against strong opposition and were slow to start. 
With Keynsham having the lions share of 
possession, they scored two converted tries 
for an early lead.

Nailsea never gave up and from a strong phase of play, Harvey Flower crossed in the corner for a 5-14 half-time deficit.

Nailsea came out stronger in the second half and from another passage of good play the ball was 
moved wide to Alex Jones who crossed for a try in 
the corner, Jones again narrowly missing the touchline 

With a four point deficit, Nailsea tried desperately to use what possession they had, but Keynsham crossed the line for the killer blow with only seconds remaining for a 19-10 victory.

The strength and versatility of Weston proved too much for the Under-12s to cope with, eventually going down by seven tries to one.

The final 47-7 scoreline started in the first minute when Weston broke through the surprised Ravens team. Somewhat depleted, both forwards and backs were unable to repel a squad as well-drilled as 

The tries flowed but Ravens never lost heart and by half-time, the home side were four converted tries up at 28-0.

A reshuffling of the Ravens’ front row, saw Owain Down back into the mix in his usual position of hooker. Weston’s strong running led to two more tries, the second of which went unconverted.

Nailsea dug deep and found the inspiration to put a smart sequence of play together that gave fly-half Dom Wood the chance to go over. Full-back Sam Williams converted for a score of 40-7.

Nailsea maintained their commitment for a 
sustained spell, but Weston finished in style with their seventh touch down of the match for a final tally of 47-7.

Coach Chris Down praised the players and backs Sam Williams, Dom Wood and Joel Giltrow were 
all mentioned for their determination, while centre 
Ben Morris took the Ravens’ man of the match 

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times