Nailsea through to the semi-finals

PUBLISHED: 14:39 14 November 2012

Nailsea & Backwell Under-15s.

Nailsea & Backwell Under-15s.


Nailsea & Backwell Under-15s beat Bath Youth to reach the semi-finals of the Bristol Junior Combination Cup.

NAILSEA & Backwell Under-15s surrendered home advantage in a bid to ensure this BJCC quarter-final went ahead and travelled to Lambridge to take on Bath Youth.

From the whistle, both teams battled for dominance, but with only 12 minutes played, Nailsea & Backwell were awarded a penalty 15 metres into the Bath half. A quick tap and go saw Ryan Barrow draw the defence and offload to Harrison Gould to score in the corner.

Bath responded quickly with a try three minutes later and soon after scored another unconverted try. Nailsea hit back when Barrow touched down. Josh Collins converted to give the visitors a 12-10 lead at the break.

In the second period, Harry Marshall made a charging run from the kick off and quick ball from the ensuing ruck allowed Collins to touch down.

With the Bath defence now over committing, captain Jordan Hayward switched tactics with a searching kick, followed up by Harrison Gould, supported by Jack O’Malley, James Verel and Ryan Barrow to cross once more.

The visitors’ fifth try once again came from good forward work, Barrow charging across the line, converted by Collins.

Good work by Hayden Young and Barrow released Gould in for another try. O’Malley set up the final try for Reece Cogzell. Bath replied with a converted try in the last minute of the game as Nailsea won 39-17.

The Under-13s inflicted a stinging 59-7 Bristol Junior Combination Cup defeat on visitors Hornets.

Playing their first match on West End Park’s first team pitch, full-back Sam Williams opened his side’s account with a good run which he converted himself.

The 7-0 lead was quickly added to by prop Will Marley, who went over in the corner for another five-pointer. Winger Indy Syson caught the restart on his 10-yard line, charged up the pitch to Hornet’s 22 where he off-loaded to Williams for his second. His conversion took the score to 19-0.

Centre Ben MacGillivray then ran in the first of what proved to be four tries. Williams converted once again for a 26-0 lead. Hornets were rewarded on the stroke of half-time with a converted try under the posts.

In the second period, Joel Giltrow chased down a Williams’ chip and crossed for a well-deserved try. Williams obliged with the conversion.

MacGillivray added three more touchdowns, two of which were converted for an insurmountable lead of 52-7. Coming on as a substitute after having played a football match, Joe Collins recorded the Ravens’ ninth try of the match for a final score of 59-7.

Man of the match was Indy Syson.

The Under-14s took on Winscombe under the floodlights in a Bristol Junior Combination Cup quarter-final.

The first quarter of the game was dominated by Nailsea with some strong rucking and superb scrummaging to set a good platform for the backs. However, it was not until the 14th minute that Josh Allen crashed over, converted by Alex Jones.

This only woke Winscombe up and their domination of the remainder of the half resulted in two tries for a Winscombe 12-7 lead at half-time.

The second half was a more open affair and after good Nailsea pressure, Harvey Flower picked up at the base of a ruck to crash over and equal the scores. Five minutes later, Nailsea secured loose ball and quickly moved it wide for Dan Traviss to sprint over for a try which was converted by Jones.

Again this spurred Winscombe into action and they began to run the ball with confidence. With 10 minutes to play, the Winscombe fly-half touched down to bring them within two points.

A stint of good pressure and superb rucking led to Luke Bain crashing over for a try for a final score of 24-17 to Nailsea and a place in the semi-final.

AFTER a two week break, Clevedon Colts were back in action, playing the return fixture against Burnham.

Early Clevedon pressure paid off and the impressive Jake Redman darted over for the first try, followed by a conversion from Kieran Hill. Clevedon kept pushing forward and Matt Brothers raced through for his first try, again converted by Hill.

Burnham struggled to get into the game as the excellent Clevedon back row of Warren, Johnson and Thorne snuffed out any potential attack.

The match highlight was when Jack Haines picked up a pass and rampaged down the pitch and created the score for Brothers to score his third, with Hill adding the extras. After the break, good interplay in the midfield saw Brothers claim his hat-trick. Hill was on hand to kick the conversion.

The final try of the game came from captain Joe Tucker, who took a quick tap penalty and powered over to score under the posts.

The Under-16s were on the back foot from the off in this Somerset Cup preliminary round.

Wiviliscombe managed to put six tries and three conversions against Clevedon before half-time.

The second half was a different story with Clevedon holding Wiviliscombe for five minutes before Phil Pittard crashed over giving Clevedon a well-deserved try. The final score was 36-5, leaving Wiviliscombe to progress in the cup.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times