Nailsea & Backwell suffer narrow defeat

PUBLISHED: 11:27 01 November 2017 | UPDATED: 11:27 01 November 2017

Nailsea & Backwell RFC 3rd XV.

Nailsea & Backwell RFC 3rd XV.


Nailsea & Backwell suffered a narrow defeat to Avon, but managed to pick up a losing bonus point.

Nailsea & Backwell entertained Bath side Avon and from the outset, the hosts found themselves on the wrong side of several baffling officiating decisions.

While this visibly upset the home side’s rhythm, Avon were quick to take advantage of the territory and possession gained and rattled up their bonus point try before the half time break to lead 0-22.

At the break, Nailsea regrouped and as a result, shortly after the opening of the second half, a period of sustained Nailsea possession saw George Sterling break the Avon defence to crash over for a try, converted by Jamie Elswood.

Avon responded and momentarily and set back the Nailsea revival with a close quarter maul, driven over for a converted try. Nailsea continued their attacking ways when Elswood produced a sublime chip over the defence for winger Harry Marshall to gather and score unopposed, Elswood adding the extras.

This was quickly followed by Nailsea’s third try when good hands from Joe Reed put No 8 Harvey Pike clear to score, Elswood again added the conversion. Avon were awarded a penalty to push their lead out to 21-32. Nailsea were now chasing a try bonus point and an additional point for finishing within seven points and so it came.

A rare series of penalties awarded to Nailsea near the Avon line saw the home side opt for a scrum, which was exhibiting dominance. An excellent drive by the pack saw Pike control the ball to touch down to make the final score 26-32.

Nailsea are away to Bridgwater and Albion IIs on Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

It was not all gloom at the Nailsea club as the second team returned from their away fixture with St Mary’s II with a fine 19-60 win to maintain the (joint) leadership of Somerset Division 3 North.

Further, Nailsea fielded a third team for their first game of the year against North Bristol 3rds, in fact it was the first third team game for at least five seasons.

The Nailsea team consisted of forwards Tony Warren, Tony O’Reegan, Dave Stokes, Rob Pugh, Henderson Ford, Scott Farrer, Sean Marks, Darren Chidzey, Freddie Le Dec. Scrum-half Billy Carpenter followed by the backs Joe Swanson, Jon Wood (captain), Dan Caie, Russell Beresford, Mat Stone, Martin Pratt, Gareth Ashley, Stuart Caie, Craig Kirton, manager Adrian Knighton.

It was a great team effort which saw Nailsea taking the lead towards the end of the first half. North Bristol took the lead in the second half. Showing great determination and willingness to win, Nailsea got themselves back within reach with some top runs by Mat Stone. The final score was close, 36-34 thanks to an important conversion be Swanson.

Any clubs wanting a third/fourth team game, please contact us via the club.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times