Nailsea & Backwell lose out in top of the table clash

PUBLISHED: 11:22 24 October 2018 | UPDATED: 11:22 24 October 2018

Harvey Flower.

Harvey Flower.


Nailsea & Backwell finished second best in a top of the table clash against Wiveliscombe.

Wiveliscombe 29pts

Nailsea & Backwell 10pts

Nailsea & Backwell travelled to Wiveliscombe and with Nailsea in joint second place and Wiveliscombe unbeaten, this was a top of the league clash.

The game started brightly enough with both sides nullifying the others attacks. Then on 15 minutes Wiveliscombe were awarded a penalty which they converted.

Five minutes later, a most unsavoury incident occurred when a Wivvy forward stamped on the head of an opponent. The nearest Nailsea forward reacted instinctively and a red card was awarded to each side.

As the half wore on there were more puzzling decisions which seemed to put the Nailsea boys on the back foot. However, ironically, Rob Baker levelled the score with a penalty.

The second half began with the Nailsea seemingly unable to get any momentum due to the stop-start nature of the game and the constant whistle.

Almost resigned to the outcome, the inevitable came when Wivvy, provided field position set up a maul to score. This was followed by two more quick tries.

Nailsea responded when Ben Perfect took an excellent arcing run to beat several defenders and score under the posts, Baker adding the extras.

The game ending with unopposed scrums due to yellow cards issued to Nailsea. Wivvy ran in a further try to end the scoring at 29-10. The travelling support left the ground disappointed.

Next week Nailsea entertain Avon at the West End Ground KO 3pm.

Nailsea & Backwell 2nd XV 36 pts

Imperial 2nd XV 12 pts

It was ladies’ day with both teams welcomed onto the field by the junior girls’ guard of honour.

Nailsea kicked off and when Imperial knocked on, Lewis Appleby broke away before offloading to Matt Thorn to run in to open the scoring, Sam Bigley adding the extras. The visitors broke out to score before the next score came from a secured scrum. Ben Cleave found Liam Harris who tipped on to Matt Stone to crash in from 25 metres to make it 12-5 at the break.

The hosts added to their score when out of nowhere the ball was moved up the blindside allowing Thorn to run in from 30 metres, Bigley again adding the extras.

Imperial still would not lie down and again breached the defence to score a converted try. However, Nailsea hit back almost immediately when the forwards secured ball Harris was able to kick through for Bigley to outpace the defence to dot down.

From Harris’s kick towards touch, Adam Weaver’s pace allowed him to take the ball to run in almost unopposed, with Bigley again adding the extras. Just before the end, Bigley again went over for a 36-12 win.

Special mention goes to youngsters Morris, Hay, man of the match Cleave and especially Delazzari on his senior debut, but they were supported by all squad members in a superb display to remain top of Somerset 3 North.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists