Gordano lose final in the last minute

PUBLISHED: 14:40 17 April 2013 | UPDATED: 14:40 17 April 2013

Gordano Rugby Club.

Gordano Rugby Club.


A last minute converted try by Winscombe was enough to defeat Gordano in the final of the Bristol Combination Bowl.

GORDANO suffered a heart-breaking defeat in the final minute of their Bristol Combination Bowl final against Winscombe at the Bristol Harlequins ground.

Gordano started the stronger, the Winscombe side, playing in their first-ever final were forced to soak up wave after wave of attack.

The Gordano forwards were relentless and the back line were running hard and fast lines from the start. Both wings, Elliot Handscombe and Joe Harris were brought into the game at every opportunity. Fly-half Joe Rowsell opened the scoring after five minutes with a kick in front of the posts.

Possession and territory was all going the way of Gordano and a try was on the cards as a result of this pressure. After eight minutes, scrum-half Gareth Yandel snipped from the back of a ruck and went under the post. Rowsell added the conversion.

On the 20 minute mark, disaster struck. Influential tight head prop Andy Peterson was sent off following a reckless challenge. The sending off appeared harsh, but it meant Gordano needed to re shuffle their pack and play for an hour with 14 men.

Joe Rowsell was then forced from the field through injury and was replaced by Jack Diaper. Despite not having played 10 for the first team before, he went on to have an outstanding game.

Winscombe replied with a penalty and just before half-time Chris Worgan got on the end of a passing move and crossed in the corner to lead 15-3 at the break.

Gordano spent long periods of that second half defending and trying to keep their noses in front. Winscome crossed for their first try after 60 minutes and then scored the crucial try in the last minute. With the scores now level, the conversion was kicked to give Winscombe a 15-17 victory.

On Saturday, it was back to league action against relegated Imperial at Caswell Lane. In atrocious conditions, Imperial showed great spirit and tried to keep the score down.

First half tries from colt winger Louis Leighton, Chris Worgan and Elliot Handscombe pretty much settled the result. It was now a matter of how tries they could score in the second half.

There were four more as Gordano ran out 37-0 winners Tries came from Mike Yandel, Tom Arnall and a second from Leighton. The fourth try came after repeated infringements at a scrum led to referee awarding a penalty try.

Gordano now have one league fixture remaining when they travel to Winscombe on Saturday where they will be looking to avenge the cup final defeat.

They also have the Somerset Vase final to look forward to when they take on league champions Chew Valley at Weston at 7.30pm on May 2.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists