Clevedon take derby bragging rights with win at Avonmouth

PUBLISHED: 15:30 04 February 2015 | UPDATED: 15:30 04 February 2015

Ashley Vailes.

Ashley Vailes.


Clevedon climbed out of the bottom three for the first time since November after a victory at Avonmouth.



CLEVEDON have climbed out of the bottom three for the first time since November courtesy of a hearty 15-3 victory over local rivals Avonmouth.

Andy Davis and Mike Lowis crossed for first-half tries and Mike Taylor added a conversion and a penalty to secure a sixth straight victory in all competitions - and a second league win away from home.

Playing up the slope and against a strong wind, Clevedon spent the majority of the opening exchanges on the back foot.

Wearne opened the scoring for Avonmouth with a penalty from 30 metres on the 10 minute mark, having been wide of the mark with a previous effort.

Having soaked up a prolonged period of pressure from the home side, Clevedon began to find their feet with dominance at both the scrum and line-out.

On 25 minutes Clevedon took the lead with a well-worked try, as the returning Andy Davis latched on to an expert offload from Dean Ashfield to cross to the right of the posts, after centre Ashley Vailes had punched a hole in the Avonmouth defence.

Taylor added the extras to give Clevedon a 7-3 lead, one they would not relinquish during the remainer of the afternoon.

The Clevedon pack continued to carry powerfully in the close quarters, with Jack Williams, Harley Foley and Brian Largenton particularly impressive around the fringes.

It was following a Largenton break that Clevedon extended their lead further, with the prop driving his way through the middle of a ruck, before Ashfield once again freed his arms to find the supporting Lowis, who touched down for his first try of the season.

Minutes before the interval, a driving maul saw Avonmouth held up short by some strong Clevedon defending and with the final play of the half, a huge hit from veteran prop Tucker saw the ball dislodged and the referee blow for half-time.

The second half saw Owen Biggins sent to the sin-bin for an off-the-ball scuffle, which also resulted in a yellow-card for an Avonmouth forward and as with the first-half, it was the home side who had the better of the opening 15 minutes.

But Clevedon were in a resilient mood and continued to knock down anything the home side could throw at them.

It was an Owen Biggins turnover that put an end to the early pressure and Taylor fired over the resulting long-range penalty to make the score 15-3.

And that is how it stayed as Clevedon held out to secure a rare win at Barracks Lane and give their hopes of avoiding the drop a huge boost.

Clevedon host Bideford on Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times