Clevedon romp into the semi-finals

PUBLISHED: 14:44 10 November 2010

Clevedon Under-17s in action against Hornets

Clevedon Under-17s in action against Hornets


A BRIGHT sunny afternoon at the Vale saw Clevedon Under-17 play Weston Hornets in the quarter-final of the Bristol Combination Cup.

A BRIGHT sunny afternoon at the Vale saw Clevedon Under-17 play Weston Hornets in the quarter-final of the Bristol Combination Cup.

Clevedon put their mark on the game early, when from the Clevedon kick-off the receiving Weston player was knocked off his feet by the first tackle.

There then followed 20 minutes of pressure on the Hornets with Clevedon scoring three converted tries, the third try coming from a penalty conceded in front of the post, but ran in rather than kicked.

The highlight of the game was the line-outs which Clevedon dominated with their own ball and that of the opposition. The jumping of Dan Gibbs and Ned Bristow and the pitching of Jack Williams gave a great platform to initiate attacks.

Hornets retaliated with a converted try and penalty goal, but Clevedon finished the half strongly, breaking out from defence and scoring a pushover try for a half-time score of 28-10.

The second-half started as the first had ended with Clevedon camped in the Hornets half, but unable to break down the visitors’ defence, until a smart crossfield move put winger Luke Prior in to score.

The pressure continued with two more Clevedon tries, the last was a wonderful back row move, with Tom Pinder running powerfully through the Hornets defence to off load to Mike Winter to complete the try.

Hornets came back and scored another try, before a kick released Jo Trudgian to pounce on the loose ball and score his second try of the game.

The try scorers were Mike Winter (2), Luke Prior, Jo Trudgian (2), Sam Shipway and Andy Davis, with conversions by Dom Hanley (4) and Luke Blizzard (2). Final score, 52-15.

This game matched two of the strongest under-16 teams in Somerset and lived up to expectations, but Clevedon proved too strong and ran out 48-24 winners.

From the kick-off, Clevedon were in the heart of Keynsham territory and persistence paid off with a fine try from Nick Carpenter, converted by Tom Francis. Keynsham responded well with a try of their own.

From a scrum deep in Keynsham’s territory, good handling by the backs released Jake Redman for Clevedon’s second try, but again Keynsham responded well with another good try.

From the restart, Harry Sheppard stormed through the Keynsham defence to set Clevedon up with a lead of 19-12. However, on the stroke of half-time, Keynsham scored again to make it all square.

The second half started with Keynsham attacking the Clevedon line, but came away with no reward. The blistering pace of Sheppard proved too strong for Keynsham as he scored two further tries to put Clevedon in the driving seat.

A good combination of backs and forwards working together sent Redman over for his second try and the pace of Francis and Freddie Knight also proved too strong for the Keynsham defence in the final quarter of the game, each scoring a try.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times