Hockey: Nailsea Ladies celebrate 95th anniversary
PUBLISHED: 08:00 19 April 2019
Nailsea Ladies Hockey Club are celebrating their 95th anniversary at a special event in June.
And they hope to gather as many former members together as possible at Tickenham Village Hall on June 8 (6pm til late).
Nailsea started as a mixed group of young farmers but became a Ladies side in 1924/25.
Their first home ground was in Station Road and they would travel to away games by Davey's Taxis or Cutler Buses.
In 1930, they moved to Mizzymead Farm, where tea was served in the bar, and in 1945/46 they moved to Midgell Farm, Chelvey.
They played there for 10 years and had the luxury of being able to change in the farmhouse, while post-match cream teas became popular with visiting teams.
In 1954 they were invited by the cricket club to move to Grove Playing Fields to form the Grove Sports Club, along with the football club.
But when England Hockey ruled league matches had to be played on artificial pitches they moved to Clevedon's Gordano School and now field two league sides along with a mixed junior section for six to 14 year olds.
Both teams earned promotion this season, giving special cause for celebration at their event.