Nailsea defeat Old Down on opening day of season
- Credit: Gavin Ellis
Nailsea got the 2021 Bristol & District Association season off to a winning start after a closely contested game against visiting Old Down at The Grove.
Having lost the toss and been asked to bat first, openers Gary Phippen and Rob Wood got the home side off to an excellent start, rattling along to 49, before Wood fell for 22.
A couple of quick wickets changed the pace of the innings, but gradually Phippen and skipper Pete Hardcastle (34) began to up the tempo.
And despite another cluster of wickets, including Phippen for a well made 61, Nailsea saw out their 40 overs to post a very respectable 178-8, with Ryan Orr making 19.
After the break, Nailsea’s bowlers took wickets at regular intervals, with Jack Smith bowling well to finish with 2-28 from his eight overs.
You may also want to watch:
It was particularly pleasing to see debutants Ryan Orr (1-15), James Baber (1-24) and Mat Beadle (3-24) make significant contributions with the ball, combined with a miserly spell from Hardcastle.
And a couple of wickets from the ever reliable Steve Lester (2-9) helped dismiss Old Down 11 runs short on 167, as wicketkeeper Rob Wood held four catches, including a diving one-handed effort, and conceded no byes.
- 1 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 2 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 4 Man with long Covid urges others to take virus seriously
- 5 Conservative named as Avon and Somerset police and crime commissioner
- 6 Clevedon AC members enjoy Glastonbury 10k outing
- 7 Lions fund noticeboard for Backwell viewpoint
- 8 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected
- 9 Nailsea & Backwell enjoy return to rugby action
- 10 May 17: Museums gear up to reopen in North Somerset next week
Nailsea travel to Abbots Leigh this weekend.