Millbrook come from behind to stun Clevedon Town

Archie Ferris wins a header watched by Glen Hayer.

Archie Ferris wins a header watched by Glen Hayer during Clevedon Town's match at Millbrook. - Credit:

Clevedon Town threw away a two goal lead as Millbrook claimed only their second win of the season on Saturday.

Glen Hayer and Alex Camm scored the goals in the first 16 minutes but the hosts hit back with five unanswered goals to inflict a disappointing afternoon for the Seasiders.

Syd Camper during Clevedon Town's match at Millbrook.

Syd Camper during Clevedon Town's match at Millbrook. - Credit:

After an even start, the visitors took the lead on 14 minutes when James Morley's pushed out Syd Camper’s cross and Hayer fired the loose ball into the roof of the net.

A couple of minutes later Town doubled their lead when Camm won the ball in midfield, he played a one-two with the returning Ollie Babington and then got on the end of the Babington’s cross to side foot home.

But Millbrook were stung into action and that was as good as it got for Clevedon.

Clevedon Town's Ollie Babington breaks clear of Millbrook's Laurence Murray.

Clevedon Town's Ollie Babington breaks clear of Millbrook's Laurence Murray. - Credit:

You may also want to watch:

Teenage goalkeeper Luca Smith produced a great save from an accurate long shot before two goals in a minute on the half hour from Jake Foster saw Millbrook draw level.

Firstly, Foster was given a clear run down the left and his shot over Smith cannoned in off the bar.

Millbrook's Tom Payne’s free kick clears the Clevedon wall.

Millbrook's Tom Payne’s free-kick clears the Clevedon wall of Callum Kingdon, Syd Camper, Archie Ferris, Alex Kemsley and Ollie Babington watched by goalkeeper Luca Smith. - Credit:

Most Read

Then straight from the restart a ball over the top was completely missed by the Clevedon defence and Foster coming round the back had a free shot into the corner of the net as both sides went into half-time all level.

Straight from the restart Clevedon gave the ball away and Smith produced a great diving save from Josh Toulson’s shot, but nobody picked up Rikki Shepherd coming in from wide and he pounced on the loose ball to slot home into the empty net.

Four minutes later Shepherd was on the score sheet again when he was left unmarked on the far post to tuck away Tom Payne’s cross, with Clevedon appealing for offside.

Clevedon Town's Callum Kingdon clears at Millbrook.

Clevedon Town's Callum Kingdon clears watched by Archie Heywood, goalkeeper Luca Smith and Ollie Babington. - Credit:

Clevedon were restricted to scraps. Camper saw a free kick blocked and Archie Ferris failed to get on the end of following a corner.

It was all over on 78 minutes though, when Camper blocked a Millbrook free-kick and the loose ball fell to defender Dave Youlden, who benefitted to slot home past the unsighted Smith to end the match 5-2.

Clevedon are back in action again this Saturday for a twice rearranged home game at The Everyone Active Stadium against Somerset rivals Bridgwater United with kick-off at 3pm.

The Seasiders is certainly the place to go for goals, with the second highest aggregate for and against goals in the league.

Then on Monday, September 20, the Under-18s begin their Western Counties Floodlight Youth League season at home to Mangotsfield United U18 at 7:30pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter