Mendip Spring’s Rule earns rewards during lockdown
- Credit: Archant
Somerset golf pro Katie Rule turned being unable to work during lockdown into a huge positive by using the time to become the youngest female to attain PGA Advanced Professional status.
The 27-year-old, who is attached to Mendip Spring Golf Club, is also the youngest pro of either gender to achieve The PGA’s Director of Golf qualification.
“That was three years ago when I was 24,” said Rule, reflecting on her latest achievement.
“It was very frustrating not being able to work so I was determined to put the free time to good use.
“It’s fair to say I was on a mission. Once I know I want to complete something I just do it. Working two or three hours a day, this took me six weeks.”
You may also want to watch:
Attaining PGA Advanced Professional status was not the only way Rule made the best use of her free time during the enforced period of inactivity.
Her series of lockdown lessons involving drills utilising household items such as a saucer, table tennis bat, chopping board and a clothes-line that were uploaded to You Tube has paid dividends.
- 1 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 2 Exceptional house with grounds, countryside views and outbuildings
- 3 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 4 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 5 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 6 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 7 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 8 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 9 Legal action starts to remove Portishead traveller camp
- 10 Charity launches cream tea fundraiser
“They led to two interviews with Radio Cornwall and some local press coverage,”added Rule, whose father, John, is a retired PGA Professional.
“Links to the lessons were also emailed to Mendip Spring members and I received loads of positive feedback.
“So much so that I have been overwhelmed by the number of bookings I have had since the restrictions on coaching were lifted. I’ve never been so busy!”