Heavey geared up for new Monoposto Championships season
- Credit: Norwich Photo
David Heavey, from Backwell, is gearing up for the opening round of the Monoposto Championships at Snetterton this weekend (April 23-24).
The Monoposto Championship is one of the UK’s most popular series, encouraging drivers of various ages and skills from all over the UK with an average grid of 25 cars.
Having raced in several categories since the age of 15, Heavey is making a full-time return to racing this year, following sporadic appearances over the past five years.
His most recent outing was the final round of Monopostos 2019 Tiedeman Cup at Pembrey, in Wales, where he secured two podiums.
Heavey will drive a Leastone 1000 in the MonoMoto 1000 class. The 160 brake horsepower machine is equipped with slick tyres, downforce producing wings and capable of 60-plus miles per hour.
He will be run for the 2022 campaign by the works Leastone team, who won the championship in 2017 and followed that with runner-up spots in 2018 and 2019.
Following the disruption due to the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020/21, the Irish-based team are fielding three cars, looking to return to the top step for 2022.
- 1 A-level results 2022: Backwell School celebrate 'fantastic grades'
- 2 A-level results 2022: Students at Gordano School 'fly high'
- 3 A-level results 2022: 'Outstanding grades' at Clevedon School
- 4 Prestigious new development of one, two and three-bedroom apartments
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 New 24-hour gym to open in Portishead
- 7 Council and First Bus agree to save X5 service
- 8 Lib Dem councillors demand First Bus bosses 'reverse cuts now'
- 9 Deal means Portishead to Bristol rail line will open in 2026
- 10 Backwell solar energy company to expand into Clevedon
‘It’s great to be back for the full season, we’re still chasing some sponsorship to complete the budget, but we at least look set to have a good year from our initial test days," said Heavey.
"I’ve still got some rust to shake off, but we know the car is competitive so it’s important I get up to speed quickly. We have three races at Snetterton so that should help blow the cobwebs out pretty quickly."
The series will host 14 races across several historic venues throughout the year, such as Silverstone and Brands Hatch culminating in a triple header at Donington Park in September.
Full racing schedule - April 23-24: Snetterton 300 (three races); May 21-22: Brands Hatch Grand Prix (two races); June 18-19: Donington Park National (two races); July 30-31: Silverstone Grand Prix (two races); August 27: Oulton Park International (two races); September 17-18: Donington Park Grand Prix (three races).
To follow Heavey's progress see the team's website leastoneracingcars.com.