Gryphons narrowly beaten in Cornwall

PUBLISHED: 14:52 04 March 2015 | UPDATED: 14:53 04 March 2015

Sidmouth & Ottery ladies 3rd's at home to Newton Abbott. Ref shsp 2924-08-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

Sidmouth & Ottery ladies 3rd's at home to Newton Abbott. Ref shsp 2924-08-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife


Somerset Gryphons ladies returned from Newquay pointless after a narrow defeat.

Newquay 3

Somerset Gryphons 2

SECOND in the league Somerset Gryphons travelled to second bottom in the league Newquay and were narrowly beaten 3-2.

Following Newquay’s first attack, the visitors were reduced to 10 players and from the resulting short corner, the home side took the lead.

Newquay continued to take advantage of their extra player and matched the visitors’ performance, with both teams making good sets of passes, although Gryphons still looked stronger.

Gryphons found it difficult to create flow to execute any effective set moves, due to the game being regularly interrupted for Gryphons players to be reprimanded. Newquay then intercepted a poor Gryphons pass and made a fast break, resulting in a scrappy goal.

After the half-time break, a reinvigorated travelling 11 began to show their strengths by stick to stick passing, accurate long balls from defence and positive commentary.

Retaining the majority of the possession for the first few minutes of the second half, a cross via a long corner allowed Amy Barkus to score from the penalty spot area to reduced the lead.

Gryphons’ confidence grew further, playing their own disciplined hockey, with Lara Ford striking the post after good midfield skills allowed the ball to reach the top of the D.

While Gryphons looked the favourable team, they were soon disadvantaged again with another soft yellow card being produced for a first non-physical technical offence in their own attacking quarter.

Despite being down to 10 players again, Gryphons worked hard to keep the ball high and achieved multiple short corners, but were unable to convert any shots into goals due to well drilled short corner defence from Newquay.

The umpires then deemed a Gryphons stick tackle to have occurred while the ball was in their possession. A focused Newquay side took advantage of the away team’s confusion and worked quickly to counter-attack and increase their lead to 3-1.

Gryphons, back to 11 sets of legs, continued to look the stronger side and following further short corners, Verity Summerell’s trademark slap hit the back of the net from the top of the D, deflecting off a Newquay foot to make the score 3-2.

Time was not on Somerset Gryphons’ side and they made the three-hour journey home with no points.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times