Yatton boys secure their third championship title in four years

PUBLISHED: 14:46 18 March 2015 | UPDATED: 14:46 18 March 2015

Yatton Under-15s.

Yatton Under-15s.


Yatton Under-15s clinched their third championship title in four years after defeating Nailsea United at the Hand Stadium in Clevedon.

WITH their home pitch double booked, Yatton Under-15s final fixture of the season against Nailsea United was moved to Hand Stadium in Clevedon.

Needing just one point to secure the league title, they were in no mood to throw their chance away and immediately took control of the game.

A shot from George Frost was spilled into the path of Lucas Mortimer and he tapped in to give Yatton the lead after four minutes. Soon after, a succession of Yatton corners put Nailsea under pressure and their perseverance paid off when Lucas Finnegan played the ball in and Adam Milward calmly slotted home.

Nailsea fought back well and created chances, but were repelled by Yatton’s back four and some great saves by keeper Chandler Kowolskie.

A goalmouth scramble from another corner halfway through the half saw Finnegan put himself on the score sheet.

Mortimer was bought down in the box in the opening minutes of the second half and the resulting penalty taken by Finnegan gave Yatton a four goal lead.

Although no more goals came the remainder of the match saw some great play from the Yatton boys and demonstrated why, for the third time in four years, they have finished the season as league champions.

The other members of the squad who have all played vital roles throughout the season are Ben Bushell, Will Cattermole, Mitch Chadwick, Sam Forster, Kieran Hughes, Tom Keating, Angus Mason, Sol Prewett-Martin, Elliott Shipway and Sam Starr and the squad has been expertly coached and managed by Steve Finnegan.

IN WHAT would have been an upset, a depleted Swiss Valley Rangers Under-14s team came close to taking the lead against likely league champions Hutton, but the visitors’ superiority told in the end and the match ended 0-2.

Rangers played with great spirit and through tenacious defending reduced Hutton to speculative long-range shots in the first-half.

After the interval, Rangers’ share of possession improved as player of the game, Evan Clarke, led the home side’s attacking efforts, but Hutton’s late goals put the match out of reach.

A special mention goes to Jack Major for an 11th hour call up to deputise for absent team mates.

A high quality top of the table encounter saw Swiss Valley Colts Under-11s take a share of the points against league leaders Milton Nomads.

Milton soon created the first chance of the game which was well saved by Gus Brown. The Colts were soon exerting pressure of their own, and a scramble in the Milton box forced the visitors to clear.

Hugh Ten-Broeke was forced to make a great cover tackle soon after, but Swiss Valley finished the half well, James Crew shooting over the bar from a neat passing move.

The second half began in the same vein, with both teams passing the ball around well and building promising attacks. Nelson Venables broke clear for Swiss Valley, but was denied by a last-ditch tackle, and Brown was forced to save again when one-on-one with the Nomad’s striker.

Both sides were determined and well organised in defence and a goalless draw seemed on the cards until Milton were awarded a penalty with a couple of minutes to go. Brown made the save and despite late pressure from Milton, the match finished all square, with Milton remaining top and Swiss Valley second.

CLEVEDON Under-13s began the first-half well when an Oli Burns free kick was knocked in by Sam Lewis.

Clevedon seemed to lose concentration, allowing Backwell to score two goals in a matter of minutes, followed by a further goal, making it 3-1 at the break.

Clevedon responded brilliantly. Callum Wilcox and Luke Foster played well in defence, with Harry Perry and Ethan Meredith putting in a good attacking performance, but it was a team effort that enabled Oli Burns to score two great goals during the second half leaving the final score as a draw.

Oli Burns was voted man of the match.

PORTISHEAD Juniors Under-11s had to work hard for their two goal lead at half-time against a resolute Winscombe side.

Man of the match Ethan Monks opened the scoring with a superb free kick and then split the defence for Jack Nattress to double the lead.

Juniors controlled the second half as Nattress took his individual tally to four with some clinical finishing. Sam Rees assisted with a long pass over the defence with Monks providing another from a set piece.

Juniors played with the bare nine, stand in goalie Rory Moir had an assured game and dealt with any attempt from the visitors.

NAILSEA United Under-11s started this game against Axbridge Saxons on the front foot.

Ben Hodges and Elliott Moore in Nailsea’s midfield sprayed passes out to the flanks for Freddie King and Jakob Hole to try and feed captain James Warren, but the final ball would just not fall right due to some desperate defending by the Axbridge centre backs.

Nailsea’s defence of Joe Eyles, Oliver Brown and Harry Watters needed to be alert for any counter attacks from the Saxons as Nailsea were dictating play and it was towards the end of the first-half that this trio, along with substitute Craig Bessant, snuffed out any Axbridge pressure to protect Joe Freear in the Nailsea goal.

The second half began with both sides cancelling each other out, but a fine move resulted in the first goal, with Nailsea’s full-backs marked, Freear in the Nailsea goal found Warren, who played a one-two with Moore and then passed inside to Hodges. He found King on the edge of the Axbridge box, who netted with a fine shot.

Soon after, an Axbridge corner was cleared to Thomas Kemble, who fed Moore to run half the pitch to slot the ball under the advancing Axbridge keeper to make the final score 2-0.

SWISS Valley Rangers are looking for new players to join their girls’ teams being set up for next season.

Training has now started for a new girls’ team at Swiss Valley Rangers to commence playing next season at Under-14s age group (school years 8 and 9 from September 2015 ).

If you are interested in playing girls’ football (both this age group and all ages), come along to training every Thursday between 7-8pm on the Astro at Clevedon School.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times