Weakened Seasiders crash at home

PUBLISHED: 10:47 01 February 2011

Chris Gale, Clevedon FC

Chris Gale, Clevedon FC


CLEVEDON Town manager Micky Bell fielded an inexperienced side against Division 1 opponents Hungerford Town.

CLEVEDON Town manager Micky Bell fielded an inexperienced side against Division 1 opponents Hungerford Town.

With Kris Lee, Sam Teale Cameron Ricketts and Chas Hemmings all injured or unavailable, the side contained two starting debutants from the youth side - Craig Burchill and Sam Truman.

After an earlier pitch inspection due to overnight frost, the surface was deemed playable but proved difficult for both sides.

A couple of attacks from both sides came to nothing, but after 22 minutes with Clevedon pressing against a packed Hungerford defence, a home side shot connected with the hand of a Hungerford defender and the referee had no option but to award the spot kick.

Jonny Moss scored with an excellently placed kick into the roof of the net.

Hungerford rallied and Clevedon’s inexperience was tested to the limit and slack marking 
allowed the dangerous Jemel Johnson to convert on the far post giving Jason Mellor no chance to save.

It was Johnson again who capitalised on another defensive mistake and scored his second after 39 minutes to put the away side ahead approaching half-time.

Clevedon nearly scored when a Zane Simpson free kick was hit at pace into the six yard box. Steve Kingdon got on to the end of the cross, but his shot struck the post and rebounded to safety.

The second half began with Hungerford in confident mood. Clevedon were forced to chase the play and were unable to create much in the way of attacks. Lloyd Mills worked tirelessly in midfield, but was forced into a more defensive role.

Hungerford began to press harder and on 51 minutes a fine cross by Chris Blackford found the head of Johnson, whose glancing header was well saved by Mellor. This was followed five minutes later with a shot from Mattie Day which was well saved by Mellor.

Mellor was again called into action when he pushed a shot by Johnson over the bar. It was all over when Johnson broke free and hit a superb first time shot from 22 yards which rocketed into the roof of the home net.

Men of the match was Jemel Johnson of Hungerford and Jason Mellor for Clevedon.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times