United slip to narrow defeat against league champions

PUBLISHED: 10:57 22 November 2017 | UPDATED: 10:57 22 November 2017

Football generic picture

Football generic picture


Nailsea United slipped to a narrow home defeat against reigning league champions Watchet Town.

Nailsea United 1

Watchet Town 2

After three weeks away from home, Nailsea United played hosts to current champions Watchet Town.

The visitors were the strongest side in the opening minutes with Own Adamson saving well from a back post header on 15 minutes. On 28 minutes good work by Luke Penberthy on the right saw him create space before sending a flashing shot across the Watchet goal.

The play was end-to-end with the home side having the chance to go into the lead with five minutes of the first half remaining when a James Springett free kick found Scott Fisher at the far post, but the resultant header thudded against the upright and away to safety.

Immediately Nailsea conceded the opening goal when they failed to clear a ball which ended with an own goal. The defence had two chances to cut out the danger but failed to do so.

At the start of the second half, Nailsea could have gone two down within five minutes of the restart only to be saved by a timely tackle by Scott Fisher as the Watchet forward bore down on goal.

This respite was short lived as Watchet scored their second goal on 55 minutes. The visitors worked the ball down the left ending with a cross which Mark Iles could only cushion into the patch of a Watchet player who finished well.

Nailsea were indebted to Owen Adamson who smothered a shot when the visitors were through on goal. A further chance fell to Nailsea on 68 minutes when another accurate free kick from James Springett was met by Rob Brown, but his header had no power.

United then began to take charge reducing the deficit to one goal on 73 minutes when Springett found Ricky Jeffries on the right who did well to make space before delivering a ball into the middle where Sam Olsen made good contact to fire home.

The rest of the match saw Nailsea on the attack looking for the equaliser, although they created chances the vital final touch was missing.

On Saturday, United travel to Watchet again this time in the League Cup. They will know that they can match the West Somerset side with more clinical finishing. At The Grove, the A team host Westend with the B team entertain St George EIG Reserves. Kick-off 2.30pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times