United keep up the pressure

PUBLISHED: 15:13 27 April 2011




Nailsea United keep up the pressure on the league leaders with two more victories.

St George EIG 1 Nailsea United 3

HAVING been awarded three points by the league for the match away to Mangotsfield when the home side were unable to raise a side, Nailsea kept up the pressure on the league leaders.

Nailsea started the better with chances for Ryan King and Sam Long, before Stuart Lee set up King for the opening goal. Well into time added on by an injury to the referee, a St George goal kick was instantly controlled by King who sent Stuart Lee away to beat the keeper with ease to give Nailsea a two goal cushion at the break.

The second half started with St George having their best spell of the game firing just wide on 50 minutes and hitting the bar 10 minutes later. They reduced the deficit to one goal with 20 minutes to go.

On 75 minutes Stuart Lee atoned for his earlier miss when following a good move involving Matt Vickers and King, he beat the keeper to give 
Nailsea a 3-1 lead. The home side continued to fight, bringing a full-length save out of Luke Davies with 10 minutes to go.

With games coming thick and fast, manager Mark Savage substituted James Springett and Ben Cook, being replaced by Russ Driver and Make Wallington respectively.

With games in hand and home matches against front runners Cheddar and Watchet Town to come, Nailsea are still in with a chance of taking the title. This next fixtures are away to Stockwood Green yesterday (Tues), away to Taunton Blackbrook 
tomorrow (Thurs) and home to long-time league 
leaders Cheddar on Saturday at The Grove (3pm).

Nailsea Utd 2 Brislington Res 1

NAILSEA United returned to league action with the visit of Brislington and secured a 2-1 victory.

From the corner in the eighth minute, Nailsea were unable to clear their lines, allowing Brislington to take the lead.

Nailsea hit back on the half hour mark when Matt Vickers was brought down in the area. Ryan King took the penalty kick, netting the equaliser.

After the break, the home began to dominate with Vickers firing over on the hour. Minutes later a Matt Long corner was met by Ryan King only to see his effort go over the bar.

Sam Long replaced Alex Goodwin down the left flank and almost immediately Long was in the action with a strong run into the heart of the Brislington defence. The visitors were restricted to rare breakaways which were dealt with by the Nailsea defence, with Mike Rowcliffe having an outstanding game.

Chances came and went for the home side with Stuart Lee heading wide from a Mike Wallington cross on 75 minutes. Wallington was then replaced by Harry Hope a product of the youth policy at Nailsea.

It was Hope that was involved in the winning goal with 10 minutes to go following a neat display of 
one-touch football also involving Sam Long and 
Stuart Lee, which saw James Springett score the winner.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times