United crush league leaders

PUBLISHED: 14:40 11 January 2012


Nailsea United ran out comfortable 5-2 winners against league leaders Cheddar.

FOURTH-placed Nailsea entertained league leaders Cheddar and ran out comfortable 5-2 winners.

The visitors took the lead on five minutes following a poor defensive clearance, but five minutes later Matt Long hit the post and 
soon after shot over the bar from a good 

Stuart Lee then headed against the bar 
followed by a shot from Harry Hope that was saved a full length by the Cheddar keeper. 
The equaliser came on the quarter hour mark courtesy of Long.

Nailsea took the lead five minutes later when a cross was headed onto the bar by Matt Long, with fellow striker Jim Lee reacting quickest to force the ball over the Cheddar line.

Cheddar scored their second goal on 23 minutes with the home defence caught square, giving Nailsea keeper Mark Kendall no chance. With five minutes of the first half remaining, a corner by Ellis Wilmot was headed home by Stuart Lee.

Within two minutes Nailsea had a two goal advantage when Matt Vickers was brought down in the box and Long scored from the 

Ten minutes into the second period, Nailsea scored their fifth goal, Lester sending Jim Lee clear to lob the advancing keeper to make it 5-2. Further chances fell to Hope and Long, but the score remained the same to the end.

United are now in third spot and travel to Bishops Lydeard on Saturday. The next first team home game at The Grove is on January 21 against Taunton Blackbrook (kick-off 2pm).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times