United caught out

PUBLISHED: 14:47 26 September 2012


Nailsea United were caught out by three late goals at Langford Rovers.

Langford Rovers 5

Nailsea United 1

FOLLOWING their midweek win at Street, Nailsea travelled to play Langford Rovers, another high-flying side on Saturday.

Within two minutes of the start, Ellis Wilmot played the ball wide to Harry Hope who passed to Jim Lee and his first-time shot hit the Langford post.

The home side hit back with continuous pressure on the Nailsea defence which paid off on 25 minutes when a long ball out of defence was clinically finished. United were fortunate to not go further behind on the half hour when another shot shook the United crossbar.

Langford doubled their lead just before the break with another shot that ripped into the Nailsea net. It took a fine save from Scott Kendall to keep the score at 2-0 when Langford threatened on the stroke of half-time.

On the hour, Kendall again kept United in the game with another fine save. United immediately took the ball into the home sides half with Matt Long bringing a save from the Langford keeper.

United went one better when Wilmot drove towards the penalty area and exchanged passes with Matt Long, who set up Wilmot for a powerful strike which flew past the Langford keeper to reduce the deficit.

United then besieged the Langford goal as they sought to score the equaliser. Lee, Lester and Wilmot all had good chances.

With five minutes remaining, United paid for pushing too many players forward allowing Langford to score goal number three. With time running out the rampant home side scored twice more to give them the flattering score line of 5-1.

On Saturday, United travel the short distance to play Clevedon United. Kick-off 3pm. The next game at The Grove on the same day, sees the in-form Reserves play host to Congresbury (3pm).

Street Res 1

Nailsea Utd 2

NAILSEA United travelled to unbeaten league leaders Street looking to continue their winning form.

The visitors started well and had chances through Ryan King and Stuart Lee, while at the other end keeper Sam Burgess made a fine save.

United took the lead five minutes before the break. A free kick by James Springett found Ellis Wilmot and his raking pass to Harry Hope saw him beat his marker to fire home the first goal.

The second half started with Steve Lester clearing off the goal-line. United nearly doubled their lead, but Springett’s shot just went over the bar. Street equalised on the hour when they failed to clear their lines.

With just two minutes remaining, Nailsea scored the winner when James Lee outjumped the Street defence from a Wilmot corner.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times