Clevedon Town enjoy two victories in a week

PUBLISHED: 12:16 17 October 2018 | UPDATED: 12:17 17 October 2018

Harry Walton.

Harry Walton.


Clevedon Town recorded two wins in a week, one in the league and another in the Somerset Premier Cup.

Hengrove Athletic 0

Clevedon Town 2

Clevedon Town travelled to Paprika Park to take on Hengrove Athletic in a game influenced by a strong wind that blew throughout and with a goal in each half returned with a well deserved 2-0 victory that sees them consolidate their fourth place in the Toolstation Western League Premier Division.

Clevedon took the lead on 20 minutes with another great passing move. The ball was played to Elliott Nicholson and he cut inside and found Archie Ferris on the edge of the D who laid the ball perfectly into the path of the overlapping Jack Sell and he advanced into the box before firing the ball across keeper Carl Bush and into the far corner of the net.

Hengrove went close to an equaliser three minutes later when a corner was cleared to the edge of the box where Craig White’s shot took a deflection that saw it heading into the net before Clevedon keeper Connor Sidley-Adams dived bravely to push the ball away.

Hengrove went even closer in the 31st minute when Ben Crewe’s free-kick was floated to the far post where skipper Asa White’s header hit the base of the post.

With the strong wind continuing to make playing conditions difficult on 48 minutes Syd Camper sent a long-range free-kick just over the bar and the same player went even closer a minute later when his corner from the right grazed the top of the bar.

Clevedon had a great chance to double the lead on 66 minutes from the penalty spot after Alex Camm was brought down. Alex got up and placed the ball to the keeper’s right, but Bush guessed correctly and made a good save and keep his team in the game.

Clevedon made the points safe in the second minute of stoppage time when they were awarded a free-kick 30 yards from goal in the centre of the pitch. Camper stepped up and calmly stroked the ball over the wall and into the top corner of the net.

Clevedon are next in action tonight (Wednesday) when they visit Plymouth Parkway with a 7.45pm kick-off before visiting Bradford Town on Saturday with a 3pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town 2

Wellington 1

Clevedon entertained Wellington in the first round of the Somerset Premier Cup and having been knocked out of the same competition by the visitors last season gained their revenge with a 2-1 victory.

The home side had chances through Lucas Vowles and Jack Sell, who hit the bar, while at the other end Harry Walton cleared the ball off the line as the half finished goalless.

Clevedon made the perfect start to the second half when they took the lead on 48 minutes with an excellently worked goal. Man of the match Elliott Nicholson found Vowles down the right and his pass found Sell running at goal.

With the Wellington defence backing off, Jack laid the ball perfectly into the path of Syd Camper whose sweetly-struck left-foot shot flew into the bottom corner of the net.

Clevedon created another good chance in the 52nd minute when a Sell run down the left saw him play a one-two with Camper before shooting straight at the keeper.

Wellington equalised on 54 minutes when a cross found Conor Bryant in space at the near post and he made no mistake by guiding his header past debutant keeper Sam Blackiston and into the net.

The home fans didn’t have long to wait to see their team back in the lead when virtually straight from the kick-off Sell received the ball before cutting into the box where he somehow managed to twist past the challenge of Scott Townsend and scored from an acute angle to make the score 2-1.

Clevedon had a great chance to sew the game up in the 78th minute when they were awarded a penalty. Sell’s trickery saw him entice George Painter into an unwise challenge, but Vowles’ spot kick was saved.

Despite their efforts both teams were unable to add to the score although the home side went closest in the third minute of stoppage time when substitute Jacob Saunders could only find the side-netting and soon after the referee blew the whistle to see Clevedon Town progress to the second round.

Reports and photos courtesy of

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists