Town well beaten in the forest

PUBLISHED: 14:48 09 March 2011

Leigh Edwards-Samuels, Clevedon FC

Leigh Edwards-Samuels, Clevedon FC


CLEVEDON Town travelled to the Forest of Dean to play Cinderford Town in the Zamaretto League and came away well beaten.

CLEVEDON Town travelled to the Forest of Dean to play Cinderford Town in the Zamaretto League and came away well beaten.

Jake Murray returned to the starting line-up in place of the injured Jonny Moss and Reeko Best swapped places with Liam Knight, who was named as one of four substitutes.

Jason Mellor was in early action with good saves from Leon Jeanne, Max Etheridge and Dale Evans. On the half hour, Jeanne put an excellent cross which Nick McCootie met with a bullet header only to be denied by another great block from Mellor.

Clevedon’s first attempt at goal came with a free kick on 40 minutes when Chas Hemmings was just wide of the target. Cinderford hit straight back and finally broke the deadlock just before half-time Etheridge netted.

The second half began with the home side applying more pressure and Mellor was soon called into action again as he pushed a shot from McCootie round the post. The resulting corner dropped to Pete Macklin and he gratefully poked the ball home to make it 2-0.

Soon after, Cinderford keeper Ben John needed his finger tips to push another Hemmings free kick onto the bar. Rhymal Henderson then dribbled into the Cinderford area, but his shot was blocked.

As Clevedon upped their tempo, a defence-splitting through ball put Best in on goal, John came out and managed to block the attempt. But a few minutes later in a carbon copy move, Best used his pace to beat John to the ball and slot it past him to make it 2-1.

Soon after Kris Lee had a great chance to level the score but he shot just wide when well placed. Cinderford reacted to this Clevedon surge by sending on some fresh legs in the giant shape of Lewis Sommers.

On 78 minutes Sommers made a delightful turn and cross from the left wing straight onto the head of Etheridge who duly scored his second and Cinderford’s third. This goal knocked the remaining fight out of Clevedon and Sommers went close again with a shot which was well gathered by Mellor.

Unfortunately the Clevedon custodian then damaged his shoulder making yet another save and when on 90 minutes a loose ball fell to Dale Evans, who drove it home.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times