Town through to next round of the FA Cup after extra time penalty

PUBLISHED: 10:31 16 August 2017 | UPDATED: 10:31 16 August 2017

Lucas Vowles.

Lucas Vowles.


Clevedon Town defeated Bitton with an extra time penalty in this FA Cup extra-preliminary round replay.

Bitton 0

Clevedon Town 1

Clevedon travelled to the Recreation Ground to take on Bitton in this FA Cup extra-preliminary round replay, which was finally decided by an Ollie Barnes penalty in the second half of extra time.

Clevedon’s first attempt on goal came on 14 minutes when Kane Ingram cut inside before laying the ball into the path of Alex Russell, whose shot went over the bar.

Clevedon’s debutant keeper Damien Freeman was called into action in the 17th minute when a shot from the edge of the box by Joe McLennan took a deflection and saw the keeper get down quickly to push the ball wide.

Further efforts from Daine O’Connor, and Callum Kingdon’s failed to find the target as the first-half ended goalless.

After the break, Clevedon had to be thankful to Freeman in the 53rd minute when a long-range shot from McLennan was heading into the top corner before the keeper produced an excellent save by tipping the ball over the bar.

Freeman was called into action again, making fine save from McLennan, Reeko Best and Tom Knighton. The last minute of normal time saw an Ingram cross-shot deflected narrowly wide and the game then went into extra time.

After a goalless first-half, Ollie Barnes was held back going for a cross by Callum Kingdon and a penalty was awarded, which Barnes netted for the winner to send them through to the next round.

Special mention to Damien Freeman who had an excellent debut in the Clevedon goal and Kevin Camargo for his continuous running, but the man of the match award went to Clayton Fortune for his strong defending and organisational skills.

Town are now through to the preliminary round of the FA Cup where they travel to Barnstaple Town on Saturday with a 3pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: D Freeman, S Simpson, C O’Sullivan (D Wring 91), C Kingdon, O Barnes, C Fortune, A Russell, K Camargo (K Gazzard 87), D O’Connor (I Reid 81), K Ingram, L Dempsey.

Clevedon Town 1

Bitton 1

Clevedon and Bitton faced each other for the third time in seven days after two epic FA Cup games which saw Clevedon finally prevail with an extra-time penalty and this game did not disappoint, although both teams had to settle for a point.

Clevedon took the lead in the 11th minute when a long ball down the middle looked to be easily dealt with by Ross Beazer, but his attempted back-header fell short of Ben John allowing Kane Ingram to nip in and lob the ball over the stranded keeper.

Clevedon could have doubled their lead on 15 minutes when Daine O’Connor was played through, but he could only shoot wide. Bitton went close in the 31st minute when a free-kick was pushed away by Damien Freeman in the Clevedon goal.

Just before the break, a Bitton corner was cleared off the line by Sekani Simpson and soon after an Ingram free-kick was heading into the top of the net before John tipped the ball over.

Bitton went close to equalising on 51 minutes when Joe McLennan’s shot was tipped onto the bar and over by Freeman, but the visitors equalised on 57 minutes. A long ball found Reeko Best and he cut inside before playing the ball through for Tom Knighton to beat Freeman to level the scores.

Clevedon had to be grateful to man of the match Callum Kingdon in the 59th minute when he threw himself in the way of a Josh Morgan Williams shot.

Further chances fell to Lucas Vowles, Daine O’Connor and Clayton Fortune, before Bitton had a goal disallowed for offside.

Despite the efforts of both teams there were no further goals and each side had to settle for a point from their opening game of the new league campaign.

Clevedon are next in action tonight (Wednesday) when they visit Hengrove Athletic with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town are representing Somerset in the National Walking Football South West Regional final at The Everyone Active Stadium on September 3 with a noon kick-off.

The other teams competing are Bideford from Devon, Dexter Sports from Dorset, Stroud from Gloucestershire and Wiltshire Walking Football from Wiltshire, with the winner progressing to the national final.

Come along and see walking football at its best and support your local team. Entry is free.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times