Town slip to narrow defeat against league leaders

PUBLISHED: 11:28 29 November 2017 | UPDATED: 11:28 29 November 2017

Morgan Williams.

Morgan Williams.


Clevedon Town put in a fine performance against league leaders Street, but slipped to a narrow defeat.

Street 1

Clevedon Town 0

Clevedon Town travelled to The Tannery Ground to take on league leaders Street and put in an excellent performance before slipping to a 1-0 defeat.

Street nearly took the lead on 12 minutes when they hit the bar, before Clayton Fortune headed over the bar from a Ollie Barnes free kick. Further chances fell to Morgan Davies and Liam Dempsey.

Clevedon were hit on the counter-attack when Street took the lead in the third minute of stoppage time when Damien Freeman was beaten.

After the break, an Alex Russell free-kick was flicked on by Lucas Vowles to Liam Dempsey whose shot was well saved by Tom Punchyard and five minutes later Alex Russell set up Morgan Davies to shoot just over.

Street nearly doubled their lead in the 67th minute, but Dempsey was on hand to clear the ball. Dempsey popped up at the other end, but his first-time shot was just wide.

Clevedon kept pushing forward looking for the equaliser and the home side had to throw everyone behind the ball to keep the visitors at bay, but managed to hold out to take the three points.

This was an excellent performance from a young Clevedon side that finished with four current Under-18 players plus two other teenagers on the pitch.

Clevedon are next in action on Saturday when Wells City are the visitors to The Everyone Active Stadium with a 3pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: D Freeman, S Simpson, L Dempsey, T Baker, O Barnes (L Vowles 46), C Fortune (c), A Russell, C Kingdon, D Wring (M Davies 28), M Williams, T Ashmead (J Sell 70).

Clevedon Town 4

Wellington 2

With less than 90 seconds on the clock, Liam Dempsey netted the first goal which set the tone for a straightforward victory for Clevedon Town at the Hand Stadium.

Six minutes later the lead was doubled when Clayton Fortune found the back of the net.

Ian Bellinger netted a volley for the visitors to pull one back, but Town restored their two-goal advantage when Morgan Davies scored.

Davies went close soon after the break, while at the other end, Damien Freeman made a fine save. Ollie Barnes went close before Lucas Vowles was brought down in the area and Barnes netted from the spot.

Wellington had the final say when Tim Legg knocked in a rebound after the ball had come back off the bar as Clevedon took all the points.

Reports and photos courtesy of

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times