Town return from Sherborne with all three points

PUBLISHED: 14:34 22 February 2017 | UPDATED: 14:34 22 February 2017

Joe Hance.

Joe Hance.


Clevedon Town fought hard to return from Sherborne Town with all three points.

Sherborne Town 1

Clevedon Town 2

Clevedon travelled to Raleigh Grove in Dorset and came away with a hard-fought 2-1 victory as they had done in the same fixture last season.

The visitors started well, with Kevin Camargo, Isaac Reid and Jake Harris having early chances. A Reid header from a corner flew over the bar before Clevedon’s pressure was rewarded in the 32nd minute.

A great ball from Archie Ferris found Reid wide on the left and he cut inside and curled an excellent shot into the corner of the net.

Clevedon were made to pay for not taking their chances when Sherborne equalised in the 43rd minute, when hesitancy in the Clevedon defence saw the ball blasted into the net, giving debutant keeper Will Bennett no chance.

After the break, the injured Callum Kingdon was replaced by Sam Holden. Clevedon were grateful to their young keeper for keeping them in the game in the 78th minute, when he saved well.

Clevedon took the lead in the 83rd minute. Ben Murray launched a free kick from the halfway-line into the box where substitute Toby Yeates flicked the ball on for fellow substitute Sam Downe to make the score 1-2.

Clevedon had a chance to increase their lead further on 87 minutes when Reid ran at the home defence before laying the ball off to Toby Yeates, whose sliced shot from the edge of the box was easily saved.

The final action of the game saw Kevin Camargo blast a free kick over the bar in the 90th minute before Clevedon ran out the clock.

Clevedon entertain Bradford Taunton on Saturday at The Everyone Active Stadium with a 3pm kick-off.

Clevedon Town: W Bennett, A Ferris, O Barry, C Kingdon (S Holden 46), B Murray, K Gazzard, J Hance (S Downe 79), K Camargo (c), I Reid, J Boughton, J Harris (T Yeates 79).

Cadbury Heath 4

Clevedon Town 0

Clevedon travelled to Cadbury Heath with Owen Barry having joined on work experience from Bristol City and competed well for the first 45 minutes before the home team took full advantage of the slope and scored four second-half goals without reply.

A good start saw Kevin Camargo and Jack Boughton go close before Clevedon were grateful to stand-in keeper Ben Murray in the fifth minute when he pushed a shot away to safety and then produced a fine one-handed save.

The visitors almost took the lead in the 10th minute when a shot by Jake Harris was deflected onto the post and rebounded out to James Fisher, whose shot was saved by the legs of Jamie Powell.

Clevedon created another good opportunity in the 49th minute when Sam Downe squared the ball to Harris, but his shot was easily saved. Cadbury Heath took the lead in the 54th minute when Simon McElroy netted.

Five minutes later and the home side doubled their lead and things got worse on 66 minutes Matt Huxley made it 3-0 to the hosts.

Clevedon kept trying and Reid and Harris both went close before Cadbury Heath completed the scoring on 83 minutes.

Report and photos courtesy of

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times