Town record their first double of the season

PUBLISHED: 15:06 20 April 2011

Leigh Edwards-Samuels.

Leigh Edwards-Samuels.


Clevedon Town record their first double of the season at bottom of the table Andover.

CLEVEDON Town travelled to Hampshire to play bottom club Andover and won 2-1 to record their first league double of the season.

Chris Gale and Leigh Edwards-Samuels returned to the starting 11 and Clevedon were also delighted to welcome back captain Jason Mellor in goal.

On a bright afternoon the dry, bumpy pitch made it difficult for both sides to control the bouncing ball and make accurate passes. After 20 minutes of scrappy play, Clevedon created the first chance when a long ball from Sam Teale found Cameron Ricketts who rounded Andover keeper Josh Cotterell, but his cross just eluded Chas Hemmings.

This served as a wake-up call for Andover who then went close twice, firstly when Vince Rusher blasted over at the far post and then Curtis Angell headed just wide. The Seasiders had the better of the last 15 minutes of the half though, as Cotterell did well to block a shot from Ricketts.

Just before the break, more Clevedon pressure produced a shot from Ricketts that had to be cleared off the line by a defender with Cotterell well beaten.

Clevedon began the second period with the same tempo that they had ended the first and finally got the breakthrough that their play deserved on the 49th minute when Reeko Best crossed from the left for Leigh Edwards-Samuels to net for his first ever Clevedon goal. And just six minutes late, the Seasiders doubled their advantage as Josh Ford made a great leap at the far post to head home Edwards-Samuels’ corner, which also gave him his first goal for Clevedon.

Then left-back Chris Gale made a powerful run into the box and hit a curling shot that was well saved by Cotterell, and minutes later an audacious 35 yard shot from Hemmings went narrowly wide.

The Seasiders then took their foot off the gas and allowed Andover to put them under pressure. A slip by substitute Jake Murray let in Rusher, who blasted over, before the home team got a foothold in the game when Iain Calder glanced in a near post header from a corner in the 85th minute.

However, the Seasiders held firm to deny Andover an equaliser and could even have scored a third themselves at the death as Best broke forward and crossed to Edwards-Samuels, who skied his effort over the bar.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times