Town move up to second place

PUBLISHED: 15:12 27 April 2011




Nailsea Town recorded two wins in the last week to move up to second place in the Somerset County League.

Nailsea Town 2 
Bishop Sutton Res 1

NAILSEA Town moved up to second in the Somerset County League after a less than convincing win against a young talented Sutton side.

All the goals came in the first half, Town again 
scoring an early goal with the predatory Mike Purnell netting after a defence splitting pass from Chris Gregory.

Injuries also started to take their toll following seven games in the previous 22 days with both John Mark and Dan Cook having to be replaced in the first half after suffering hamstring injuries.

It was during this period though that Purnell increased the lead with another well-taken goal 
following good work from Matt Fisher.

However, Bishop Sutton pulled one back almost straightaway and continued to give the Town defence a lot of trouble.

Half time arrived and the heat increased so that both sides were forced into making changes as players flagged. Bishop Sutton remained a dangerous side and yet again the Town defence was under a lot of pressure.

Sam Oatway was unlucky not to score for Town though after fine work from Purnell, as was Campbell Bannerman again after good work from Purnell.

With everyone tiring due to the heat, it was to the relief of all when the referee blew his whistle leaving Town narrow winners in a match that could well have gone against them.

This coming week, Town play Nailsea United Reserves twice on Tuesday and Thursday and their last match at home is on Saturday at Fryth Way.

Burnham United 1 Nailsea Town 3

TOWN travelled to Burnham and came away with a well earned three points after a battling performance.

Town had the ball in the net early on courtesy of Gary Freeman, but the goal was disallowed. Then 
Freeman played an excellent pass for Mike Purnell to go though and open the scoring.

Back came the home side, but Town held firm with Kevin Freeman in the away goal making some excellent saves.

The second Town goal came from a good kick 
from Kevin Freeman which put Purnell away and he 
unselfishly squared the ball for Justin Clarke to 

After the break, Town gave away a penalty 
which was converted by the home side. Town 
carried on playing good football with Chris 
Gregory, Matt Fisher and Ryan Cook all featuring prominently.

The third goal came for Town after Fisher was fouled in the box and Purnell converted the resulting penalty.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times