Town just miss out on second cup

PUBLISHED: 10:02 11 May 2012

Reeko Best and Jordan Walker.

Reeko Best and Jordan Walker.


Clevedon Town lost 2-1 to close neighbours Weston in the final of the Somerset Premier Cup.



CONFERENCE South side Weston retained the Somerset Premier Cup with a 2-1 victory over Clevedon Town at the Hand Stadium in front of a bumper crowd of 554.

The visitors started the stronger with shots from both Dayle Grubb and Nat Pepperell drawing good saves from Clevedon keeper Jason Mellor. On 17 minutes Weston deservedly took the lead when a powerful shot from Sahr Kabba was parried by Mellor, but Pepperell was on hand to smash the rebound home.

An accidental clash of heads saw Clevedon’s Lloyd Mills taken to hospital for stitches in a cut over his eye, while Weston skipper Jamie Laird had his head heavily bandaged.

When the action resumed, Mellor was busy again as he pushed away a shot from Laird. Jack McKenna, on as a substitute for Mills, then forced Lloyd Irish to make a regulation save before Weston hit back through Kabba who shot just wide.

Kabba was not to be denied as minutes later he picked up a loose ball in the box and fired past Mellor giving the keeper no chance.

Just before the break, Ollie Clarke tried his luck with a shot but put it too close to Irish and the half ended with Clevedon trailing 0-2.

Whatever manager Micky Bell said to the players at the break it obviously had the desired effect as Clevedon dominated the second half.

From the start they adopted a shoot-on-sight policy and Ashley Kington was unlucky to see his volley go just wide of the post. Clarke then had an effort saved by Irish before Chas Hemmings hit a low drive that skidded off the wet surface and went agonisingly close as Irish scrambled across his goal to reach it.

Clevedon threw on some fresh legs and continued to attack their visitors but the Weston defence held firm. As the game moved into time added on, the Seasiders finally got a reward for their persistence.

A deep cross into the box was chested down by Hemmings and Henry Muggeridge was on hand to blast the ball into the back of the net. There was little time left though and referee Mr Hulme soon brought the final to an end to begin the celebrations for the victorious Weston team and their fans as they took the Somerset Premier Cup for the second season running.

Team: Mellor (c), Teale, Muggeridge, Mills (McKenna 24), Kingdon, Fisher (Ricketts 66), Clarke, Kington, Best (Flurry 77), Hemmings, Walker. Subs not used: Geeson, Brown.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists