Swiss Valley miss out on a place in the cup final

PUBLISHED: 14:51 20 March 2013 | UPDATED: 14:51 20 March 2013

Swiss Valley Rangers Under-10s lost in the semi-final of the cup on penalties to Wedmore.

SWISS Valley Rangers Under-10s bowed out of the cup at the semi-final stage, losing on penalties to Wedmore.

The fine performance marks a fantastic season for the squad of 20 boys both on and off the pitch. A training session at the FA’s National Development Centre at St Georges Park on the same day as the full England squad arrived for the first time, being just one other stand-out highlight.

A 3-0 semi-final defeat at the hands of impressive Ilchester Youth saw Portishead’s Somerset Lewin Cup run come to an end.

On a heavy pitch, Portishead battled throughout but were, in the end, beaten by the better side. Portishead went close when Tyler Ashmead was inches away from converting a dangerous ball in from Luke Osgood.

For the remainder of the half though it was Ilchester who were in command. Only the excellent goalkeeping of Portishead’s man of the match Will Bennett prevented the visitors breaking the deadlock.

Ahead of him, defenders Jamie Whitfield, James Robinson and Callum Jones were forced to make several last-gasp tackles as they soaked up constant Ilchester pressure.

In difficult playing conditions midfielders Ashley Leathem, Alex Twiggs David Warnes and Sam Torrance tried in vain to wrestle control from the visitors, while James McCall, Elliot Kay and Oskar Todd all contributed to the cause.

The visitors duly secured their place in the final with three unanswered second half goals.

CLEVEDON United Sharks Under-10s gave an outstanding display, but could only share the points with Priory Pumas.

Ciaran Clarke and man of the match Rio Perry defended superbly as did Alex Stebbing. The midfield of Jamie Pass, goalscorer Ty Leaman and Joe Newton excelled, while Ty Munn up front was a handful.

After a disappointing first-half, the Eagles were 2-0 down at the break, but a different side came out in the second half and took Priory by surprise.

A quick goal at the start of the half from Louis Carr set the tone. United scored another by Reuben Mills and a third from Jack Lovell.

The best was saved until last when man of the match Carr waltzed through the Priory defence to score United’s best goal so far this season.

On a sticky pitch, the Under-11s got the perfect start against Wedmore when Jack Thorne broke free and scored. Five minutes before half-time, a Thorne long shot hit the bar, but Danny Disley was there to tap in.

Clevedon dominated the second half with Matt Northcott making it 3-0, before Josh Baker scored the goal of the game, finding the top corner from the edge of the box to round off a good performance.

United Under-10s came up against a strong Nomads side in the cup semi-final.

Nomads started the brighter and scored within a few minutes, catching Clevedon cold. After this, the midfield of Max, Finn and Craig and Sam up front, started to show.

The back three of Tom in goal plus Roman and Rich all played well to keep the score at 1-0 as Nomads looked to catch United on the break.

Max went close a few times and Sam almost got on the end of a fine move, but on this occasion, they just could not score.

In an evenly-contested game, the B team started brightly against Nomads. The midfield of Jordan, Dan and Jamie linked up well. Emily looked solid at the back, along with Macca and Ben in goal, who made a few fine saves. Scott played well up front and came close on a few occasions.

Macca broke the deadlock with a great strike to go 1-0 up at half-time. In the second half, Nomads scored two goals and sneaked another just before the final whistle.

YATTON Under-14s conceded an early goal away at Nailsea Athletic.

However, Yatton pulled themselves together and soon equalised with a goal from Liam Watson, who then added a second 10 minutes later.

Nailsea fought hard, but the Yatton defence held firm with keeper Dan Rycroft making some fine saves, before a lack of concentration saw Nailsea equalise before half-time.

The second half was a tense affair with Rob Jones and Harry Avery having great games, but neither team could break the deadlock until a big throw-in by Declan Walters, was headed down by Harry Watkins and ended up with Jamie Davis scoring to give Yatton a 3-2 victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times