Swiss Valley lose out in top of the table clash

PUBLISHED: 14:55 11 February 2015 | UPDATED: 14:55 11 February 2015

Swiss Valley Colts Under-11s lost to leaders Milton Nomads in an entertaining encounter.

SECOND-placed Swiss Valley Colts Under-11s were beaten by in-form leaders Milton Nomads in a highly entertaining encounter.

Home side Milton took an early lead, but Swiss Valley responded well. Both teams looked to play open, passing football and the game promised more goals.

The Colts created a few chances of their own, but it was Milton who found the net next, as goalie Gus Brown was just beaten to a long ball to make it 2-0 at half-time.

Swiss Valley got a toe-hold in the match at the start of the second half as Nelson Venables latched onto a Gus Brown back heel to beat the keeper.

With renewed hope the Colts pushed for an equaliser, but they left themselves exposed at the back and were punished by a quick break to make it 3-1 and they were caught out again shortly afterwards to go 4-1 down.

When James Garrett had to go off injured and with no subs available to replace him, the game was all but gone, but that didn’t stop James Crew producing a fantastic penalty save to prevent the Nomads going further in front, making the final score 4-1.

NAILSEA Athletic Under-11s returned to form with an impressive 5-2 victory over Burnham.

Nailsea began to dominate possession and their midfielders, notably Edward Lush and Charlie Sell, began to produce some penetrating through balls, while Michael Vickers, who was superb throughout, created panic in the Burnham rearguard and forced a corner, which Edward Lush nearly converted.

The Burnham goal was finally breached halfway through the first-half when Vickers netted, but against the run of play, Burnham scored from a penalty.

Nailsea brought on Harry Kenny, Tijane Diallo and Charlie Shearn and all made an impact, while captain Charlie Sell continued to catch the eye in the centre. Nailsea retook the lead when Lush finished well from Diallo’s cross.

Man of the match Diallo came close to scoring a hat-trick of carbon copy goals. He made it 3-1 with a crisp shot after being put through by Sell. A couple of minutes later Sell again found Diallo in the box, but this time his chip went inches wide.

Diallo made it 4-1 with his second after another Sell through ball, but Nailsea contrived to concede a second when Evan Williams’ interception flew towards his own goal. Luis Bohin managed to prevent an own goal, but his clearance only found a Burnham forward who finished cleanly.

There was still time for one more moment of drama, when an excellent ball from Shearn was turned in by Burnham for an own goal to make the final score 5-2.

PORTISHEAD Juniors Under-11s dominated the first-half of their league encounter with Hutton and should have gone into the break several goals to the good.

The impressive Ben Elliott scored a wonderful individual goal to opening the scoring, but within minutes Hutton equalised with a free kick. Juniors responded just before the break with a Jack Nattress finish to lead 2-1.

To their credit, Hutton came back strongly in the second half with keeper Harri Battista making several superb saves. With five minutes to go, captain and man of the match Rory Moir picked out Nattress on the edge of the box and his strike from distance secured the game.

Some good defending by Jacob Weekes, Charlie Chichester and Daniel McCorquodale ensured Juniors closed out the game with a victory. A special mention to the Rees brothers, who both picked up knocks and soldiered on as Juniors had no subs to call upon.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Somerset Times