Swiss Valley hit for six

PUBLISHED: 14:47 16 November 2011




Nailsea Athletic Under-13s defeat Swiss Valley Rangers 6-0 in their latest fixture.

A HIGHLY entertaining game between two competitive teams started with early goals from Oliver Cattermole and Ben Roach for Nailsea Athletic Under-13s.

However, Swiss Valley fought back with a goal just before the end of the first-half. Play opened up in the second half with exciting attacking play from Athletic resulting in some superb goals from Jack Penny, Matt Aquilina, Liam Strawford and a second from Cattermole.

Swiss Valley battled bravely with an excellent display from their keeper and a late goal, but Nailsea ran out worthy 6-2 winners at the end.

A perfect silence fell across the pitch as both teams observed a minute’s silence for Armistice Day. Athletic Under-11s and Worle then walked the line to shake hands reminding each other of the spirit of fair play.

A fast paced match from the start saw Worle first on the score sheet. Dan Seager quickly answered with an excellent finish.

Athletic nearly scored four times in the 
next five minutes before opening an 
avalanche of goals from Henry Leonard (2), Ethan Jones (2), Reece Convery and a hat-trick from Henry Symonds resulting in a 9-4 win for Athletic.

Yorkie man was Dan Seager and the man of the match award went to Calum Rowan.

United Under-12s travelled to Priory Rangers, looking to beat them for the second time in two weeks.

Nailsea scored goals through hat-trick man Harry Cook and one each from Joe Sharps and Bradley Cogan to finish 5-2 winners.

Man of the match Ollie Parsons pulled off some smart saves in the second half to secure the points with the visitor’s defence looking shaky at times. The Rangers goalkeeper can count himself unlucky to be on the losing side after a string of excellent saves.

Unbeaten United Under-11s wore their poppies with pride for the local derby match with Nailsea Rangers.

Although United had the lion’s share of the goals, a much-improved Rangers side 
managed to pull one back in the second 

Pick of the scorers for United was James Harris’s hat-trick - earning himself the man of the match trophy.

n CLEVEDON United Under-10s were held to a 0-0 draw against Weston Town.

Sam Lewis had a near miss in the first half and fought hard for the ball all through the game. Joe Wynne and Oli Carlier shared the role of keeper and both made some excellent saves.

Ewan Linnett put in a great performance, as did Owen Vowles and in defence, man of the match, Nathan Turner had a great game.

In an exciting local derby it was Swiss Valley Under-11s who took an early lead. However, Clevedon soon replied through a well-taken goal from Thomas Warren.

Two further goals gave Swiss Valley a clear lead before a Liam Smallwood goal on the stroke of half-time gave Clevedon hope.

The whole Clevedon team played some excellent football in the second half and 
further goals by Smallwood and Jordan Williams gave them a deserved first win of the season.

n PORTISHEAD Under-15s lost their 100 per cent record in a tense game away to Cheddar.

On a narrow pitch, Juniors could not adapt and get their passing game going. Portishead battled to the end, but on the day went down 2-0 to a determined Cheddar side who deserved the credit as they recorded their first league win against Portishead since playing league football.

Despite being without several regular team players, the Under-14s were made to work hard for their win at Backwell.

Portishead opened the scoring with a goal from Walker. He soon added to his tally and further goals from O’Hare, Bishop and Woodcock (2) secured the three points.

Walker added two more after the break. Knight netted his first goal for Portishead and his all-round performance earnt him the man of the match award.

n AFTER a respectful minute’s silence for Remembrance Sunday, Yatton Athletic Under-12s and Long Ashton both created several chances.

They were unable to finish until a great run and cross by Yatton captain Adam Milward set up Scott Shephard to put Yatton in front just before half-time.

After the break, Yatton pushed hard producing some excellent football. A well-struck corner from Tom Hicks found the head of Eddie Davis to increase Yatton’s lead and shortly afterwards a brilliant Hicks cross set Davis up again to head in his second.

Long Ashton tried to get back into the game, but Yatton keeper, Chandler Kowolske, produced some excellent saves to keep the score at 3-0.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times